PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MORE BREAKING DICKERSON QUOTES!!!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

MORE BREAKING DICKERSON QUOTES!!!

Postby Dirty Bird » Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:51 pm

Dickerson was just quoted as saying: "If SMU scores more points next week against OSU, then they'll most definitely win."

He followed those up with "And the field, looks to me, to be about 100 yards long, with an additional 10 yards on either end, for an end zone."
Dirty Bird
Junior Varsity

Re: MORE BREAKING DICKERSON QUOTES!!!

Postby Houston Pony » Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:52 pm

Actually, I thought he said that "you need to play well on offense, and well on defense", if you want to have a good shot at winning.
Houston Pony
Junior Varsity

Postby Big Baby HayZeus » Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:54 pm

Word on the streets of Oslo, is that he's up for a Nobel Prize.
As a poet laureate.
Big Baby HayZeus

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:04 pm

Eric really needs to shut the hell up because he didnt even graduate
SMU has done everything for him and he hasnt done anything for the University since he left except for that first game last year where he actually showed up for the 20 year anniversery

------------------
The Pride and Winning Tradition of the SMU Mustangs Will Not Be Untrusted to the Weak Nor the Timid
L! O! B! O! S! LOBOS! GO!!!!
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:39 pm

That is one dumb freaking [deleted].
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Southland » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:58 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mustangs35SMU:
<B>Eric really needs to shut the hell up because he didnt even graduate
SMU has done everything for him and he hasnt done anything for the University since he left except for that first game last year where he actually showed up for the 20 year anniversery

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Certainly SMU can't take credit for his NFL career. That is just ridiculous...

Further, I'd say SMU has gained a lot more by attaching itself to Eric Dickerson, than Eric Dickerson has from affiliating himself with SMU. Dickerson is one of the only strong bullet points on the SMU football resume in the last 50 years, and arguably the program's only marketable pro superstar.

Besides, had Dickerson not gone to SMU, he would have run for 4500 yards at Oklahoma or ATM. It wasn't the system that gained those yards; Dickerson was just that talented.

The attitudes in this thread have always existed at SMU, and I’m sure Eric knows it. If our bitter – cynical - "let's quit football because we're not winning" alumni ever took the time to grow up (change their temperament), and improved their (spoiled-brat) attitude, then players like Dickerson might come around. Instead, alumni who are quick to point out every problem, without ever suggesting a strategy for progress, cripple SMU.

You go on hating, and blaming everyone else… but I guarantee you this - the only thing you’ll accomplish is to alienate yourself from the success the university has produced.
Southland
Varsity

Postby McAndless » Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:15 am

Southland, exactly how many high school recruits, and as you mentioned, black, take the time to get a feel from school presidents, administrators, coaches, other players? An educated guess would be all or most of the recruiting process is spent along those lines. On the flip side, I have never heard a recruit visit SMU and choose to go elsewhere because he thought the alumni needed to change their temperament and actually knows a spoiled brat attitude exists. My other educated guess is close to ZERO.

[This message has been edited by McAndless (edited 09-16-2003).]
McAndless
Junior Varsity

Postby EastStang » Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:18 am

Actually, Eric benefitted greatly from the SMU system. He was a fast skinny freshman at SMU. He benefitted from splitting reps with Craig James at tailback. For the first two years remember, Craig had the better yardage. Collins worked with him to get his strength up. By the time he graduated, he was one of the most powerful running backs to go to the NFL. Sure Eric did the reps, but there is no doubt that Collins helped that process. Would he have blossomed at ATM or OU, who knows? If he was the marquee back at one of those schools, he might have gotten injured and instead of spending time conditioning, it would have been rehabing a knee. SMU and Eric both benefitted from his coming here.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:45 am

Why pick on E.D.? He is as articulate as most ex-players. How many dumb things does Madden say in a broadcast? Phil Sims is not James Earl Jones either. I am glad Eric came to SMU and I wish him well. I like what he says better than what James says re SMU will never be any good and we need to get in a conference with UTEP,Rice,Baylor,LaTech, Tulsa, Tulane, TCU. That my friends is giving up. We might as well pull the plug if that happens. Eric is just saying that if you block and tackle better, you win. No more or less stupid than most any intervierw given by a coach anywhere for the past 75 years.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Southland » Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:22 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by McAndless:
<B>Southland, exactly how many high school recruits, and as you mentioned, black, take the time to get a feel from school presidents, administrators, coaches, other players? An educated guess would be all or most of the recruiting process is spent along those lines. On the flip side, I have never heard a recruit visit SMU and choose to go elsewhere because he thought the alumni needed to change their temperament and actually knows a spoiled brat attitude exists. My other educated guess is close to ZERO.

[This message has been edited by McAndless (edited 09-16-2003).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The point wasn't about recruits, it was about ex-players and alumni actively supporting the school as boosters.
Southland
Varsity

Return to Football