PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU beats Okie State, wear RED

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU beats Okie State, wear RED

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:21 pm

Who would have thought Cowboys would beat the Giants?

Not likely, but LaTech beating MSU? UNLV beating WISC?

All we need is some OSU qb inconsistency, a la 2002 TTECH's KK, and we could be in this game as well.

Yes, Baylor was no TT, but our DL was much improved with the added weight of the FRESHMEN in there...now they have a game under their belt and 3 more weeks of practice...

It could happen.

Game is at 6pm, SMU Athletic Department called and said to WEAR RED!
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Re: SMU beats Okie State, wear RED

Postby EastStang » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:29 pm

Red looks awfully close to Orange. But then again, they say the stadium will be half OSU fans anyway, so maybe red is not such a bad idea.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstang » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:31 pm

Dream on
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby PK » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:35 pm

Since we are going to be on TV, any bets on what color jersy we will be wearing?
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby MizterTea » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoRedGoBlue:
<B>Who would have thought Cowboys would beat the Giants?

Not likely, but LaTech beating MSU? UNLV beating WISC?

All we need is some OSU qb inconsistency, a la 2002 TTECH's KK, and we could be in this game as well.

Yes, Baylor was no TT, but our DL was much improved with the added weight of the FRESHMEN in there...
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<B>SMU</B> gave an <B>IOU</B> for a <B>OL</B> to <B>RB</B> & <B>QB</B> at the <B>BU</B> game...<B>OK</B> ?

------------------
"What good is money if it can't inspire terror in your fellow man?"
- Mr. Burns

[This message has been edited by MizterTea (edited 09-16-2003).]
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:48 pm

STAY CALM!-wasn't that your message GoRedWhiteBlue the other day? YOU my friend are one of the biggest reasons on this board why people come on here pissed off on Sundays-because you and your cheerleader friends build the expectations of the people on this board way too high-then we start looking for the next Coach to fire by Sunday morning. Suggestion: just come on here and do a big cheer or write out the words to your favorite cheer--BUT please stay away from the prognostications because you are wrong every single time-and everytime you are wrong - you and your message lose credibility.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby The PonyGrad » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:57 pm

Expectation control is a two edged sword and if any of a number of things went better at Baylor we would have won that game.

However, no one should expect a win vs. OSU.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:08 pm

I seem to recall that all of the naysayers said at the beginning of the season that we had NO CHANCE whatsoever in beating BAYLOR...those are the same people [deleted] that we lost...

Hell, they all expected 0-4.

I never said we would BEAT Tech, I said there were reasons why we could, all of them legitimate.

Everyone complained that TECH spanked us, although 35-42 of their points came from OUR mistakes, and they went on to SPANK the #44 team in the Nation 42-28.

When HAWAII came in here a few years ago and hadn't won a road game in 3 years or so, they barely beat us and EVERYONE went on and on about how we lost to HAWAII!!! That same team went on to 8-4/9-3 that year and won their bowl. The same thing is appearantly going to happen to TECH, but lets reserve judgement until AFTER the NCSTate game.

If you don't like SMU, STALLION, then just go root for OSU, okay, and be done with it.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby MizterTea » Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:14 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoRedGoBlue:
<B>If you don't like SMU, STALLION, then just go root for OSU, okay, and be done with it.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
"What good is money if it can't inspire terror in your fellow man?"
- Mr. Burns
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby DallasDiehard » Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:08 pm

LaTech beating Michigan State was a great model. Michigan State QB Jeff Smoker got hurt, but not before making some bad mistakes. Luke McCown played smart, taking what the defense gave him. There has to be some luck involved. A couple of OSU turnovers here and there, some key penalties by the Cowboys, maybe a bad call here or there.

A win is not impossible. It sure isn't likely, either, though. However, if everyone is preaching doom for this weekend, don't come on here complaining if we lose Saturday. Let's be fair. If we lose, we're supposed to lose, right? (Early line is 24 points.) Let's focus on improvement and support the Ponies throughout.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:20 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The PonyGrad:
<B>No one should expect a win vs. OSU.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Noone should but noone also expected a win last year when we faced Louisana Tech! If SMU were to beat OSU that would totally turn the whole season around!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:42 am

Ah geez. We're not going win against OSU. Period. If by some crazy chance, us "naysayers" are wrong, well then you finally have an argument against low expectations. Until the day we pull of an upset, some of these posts are just annoying because high expectations are not something we should have right now. We should be realists and realize that this team is moderately better than last year's and we're not going to start winning against Big 12 teams or even the top tier WAC teams until we let Bennett rebuild this program. WE ALL WANT SUCCESS, NOW! But I'm sick of being disappointed...and so are a lot of people. And it's not like I'm going to go root for another team because we're down and out. I'll always be loyal. I think Mustang Fans are some of the most loyal in college football. We've had one winning season since the DP... you guys are amazing for staying with your team through all of the hardship.

And we're going to get out of this. None of us want to have low expectations. I admire those of you who are still positive, but you're really in need of a reality check. We can still root for our Mustangs without predicting blowout wins over teams we're not supposed to even stay close with. I don't think that time's arrived. Give Bennett a few more years and we'll be winning consistently.. and I'm sure we'll all be talking of upsets and high expectations.

Go Mustangs!
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby LATech » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:09 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"><B>LaTech beating Michigan State was a great model. Michigan State QB Jeff Smoker got hurt, but not before making some bad mistakes. Luke McCown played smart, taking what the defense gave him.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, Michigan State committed no turnovers, while LA Tech gave away the ball 5 times. I can't remember ever beating a team when we had 5 more giveaways than them.

The LA Tech defense gave a Hurculean effort all day and sent Stoker to the bench with a bonecrushing (literally) hit by linebacker Jeremy Hamilton.

It'll take MAXIMUM EFFORT, not luck, to beat OSU.
LATech
Scout Team

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:00 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stallion:
<B> STAY CALM!-wasn't that your message GoRedWhiteBlue the other day? YOU my friend are one of the biggest reasons on this board why people come on here pissed off on Sundays-because you and your cheerleader friends build the expectations of the people on this board way too high-then we start looking for the next Coach to fire by Sunday morning. Suggestion: just come on here and do a big cheer or write out the words to your favorite cheer--BUT please stay away from the prognostications because you are wrong every single time-and everytime you are wrong - you and your message lose credibility. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stallion, you scored more points on this post than SMU has its entire season
SoCal_Pony

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:03 am

I agree... I guess I'm so positive because I have terribly low expectations. Watching my Stangs on TV and then scoring even one TD thrilled me to death.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Football