PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is TCU really talking to the WAC?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Is TCU really talking to the WAC?

Postby Sam I Am » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:18 am

The DMN brief report about TCU talking to the WAC even with the obligatory purple reassurances about supporting the C-USA is very surprising. Surely TCU would only retreat to the WAC if the C-USA were dissolving. What are the real prospects? Does anyone know? Thanks.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Re: Is TCU really talking to the WAC?

Postby OldPony » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:37 am

As I have said before, once Cincy and Louisville leave CUSA, it has no more appeal than the WAC as far as good teams. TCU may be looking at option which provide the same benefit without the excessive travel cost associated with the remaining CUSA. An East-West WAC might provide that along with better crowds by keeping some traditional rivalries.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Dement-ed » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:38 pm

I eagerly await the spin out of Fort Worth about how the WAC is begging the almighty Froggies to re-join, but that the TCU grand poobahs feel too superior to answer the WAC's calls. In other words, they'll be back soon.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:04 pm

Let's fact it. A 12 team WAC with TCU and Houston would be very attractive for SMU. Why would we be interested in CUSA if we played in a division with TCU, Rice, Houston, La Tech & Tulsa? If the eastern group could step things up and more of us join TCU as competitive programs, we could really have a nice east vs west rivalry in this conference, and long distance travel would be reduced. There is every indication that Fresno, Boise, Hawaii are determined to field competitive programs and Nevada has shown improvement.

The question for TCU is whether SMU, Rice, Tulsa, UTEP & San Jose will help to make the WAC stronger. That's the real key to holding this conference together and toi giving it any chance of becoming stronger. The frogs made an investment in athletics several years ago and it is paying off for them. TCU's success has provided the impetus for athletic improvement at SMU. TCU won't want to take a step backwards, but they have a tough decision ahead. The WAC would have to make it financially attractive for them to return, because they would now bring a bowl game for the WAC east.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football