PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

rumors and innuendo

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

rumors and innuendo

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:47 am

Why does this site allow it? An anonymous post like the mom whining about her "boy" having his face mask grabbed would be removed from nearly every forum around. The Frog board would delete it in about two seconds, I promise you that. It has nothing to do with censorship either. It has everything to do with biased, anonymous and unsubstantiated assertions. Abuse by a coach is unacceptable. Cussing and the normal grab of a face mask is not abuse though. If a player or parent or anybody else has a legit concern, take it through the proper channels, ie Jim Copeland or Gerald Turner. Not a fan message board. If you are not willing to do that, shut the hell up, you are only disparaging someone's character and hurting the program. If that is your intention, just leave and go somewhere else. Somebody, please wake up and remove that garbage thread below.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: rumors and innuendo

Postby OldPony » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:49 am

AMEN
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:01 pm

Two things:

No one can accuse this board of being the Sunshine Board anymore.

Second, in my experience the circumstances are rarely, if ever, on either end of spectrum, e.g. holding players hands, being kind vs Junction Boys almost killing a kid. The reality is always somewhere in between

[This message has been edited by Water Pony (edited 09-17-2003).]
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby EastStang » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:10 pm

I agree with Hoop Fan on this one. Regardless of where the "truth" lies, it belongs in the hands of the Athletic Director, the University President, the Dean of Students, the Provost, or Campus Police. Not by people who don't use their names on a message board and whose only post is this one post. If you have real facts, call those who can do something, be a man, or a mom, not a troll.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Mike Damone » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:18 pm

Maybe the reason they don't write a letter to the coach or AD is because they know nothing will be done. And nothing should be done!

Waaaa. My football coach yells at me too much. Give me a freakin' break. That's the biggest P*ssy post that I've ever seen. I would be concerned about recruits reading it, but I really don't want any recruit that wouldn't go to a school because they might get yelled at.

Good for coach if its true. After years of losing and starting this season 0-2, we are in need of some toughening up. Keep up the good work. Seriously.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby gostangs » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:42 pm

The point is - it should not be on this board and should be pulled. This is not a journalism site - it is a SMU atheltics proponant site. Current and prospective athletes do read it and participate on it - for legal reasons the webmasters should pull that one since it is unsubstantiated and slanderous.
gostangs

Postby ponyte » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:57 pm

If a coach grabbed a facemask and yelled at a kid, then several things need to be done. The coach should go to therapy to find out the root cause of his anger. I am sure the childhood trauma that manifests itself in this abusive method can be identified and successfully dealt with. In addition, the coach should have group therapy available so that he can relate to others that are suffering in a like fashion.

The kid is obviously in great pain now and facing some conflicting emotions. So he too needs therapy and consulting. There are also the concerns and confusion present with the entire team so a few group therapy sessions for the team is in order.

Or, we could just put all the players in a dress and have tea instead of practice. I am sure the opponents will not take any advantage (physical, mental or otherwise) over such a team that is committed to the long-term mental well being of the individuals. Get a grip; we are talking football players, not marriage counselors. It is a tough game and it requires tough players.
ponyte

Postby mrydel » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:09 pm

Hey Ponyte,

You sound like a good candidate for the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in California. We could send all football abuse cases to you. Maybe Arkpony can help you get an appointment.

Seriously I agree with you all the way. Wish I was making the trip with you this weekend. Was actually ordering tickets when I was informed of other obligations. At least I can see them on the tube. Cheer for all of the Arkansas contingent.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Dement-ed » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:09 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gostangs:
<B>.... This is not a journalism site - it is a SMU atheltics proponant site.... </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would disagree. This site's mission is to support SMU athletics, but at the same time, the stories that appear here are better than those that can be found in the Daily Campus (by a mile), local newspapers or anywhere else on the internet. This site thrives because of healthy discussion between fans, but the coverage of the Mustangs is thorough and insightful, in my opinion.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby The CPC » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:15 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gostangs:
<B>The point is - it should not be on this board and should be pulled. This is not a journalism site - it is a SMU atheltics proponant site. Current and prospective athletes do read it and participate on it - for legal reasons the webmasters should pull that one since it is unsubstantiated and slanderous. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one thing CPC can count on from this board is a good laugh to start his busy day. Remove a post because its "unsubstantiated and slanderous."? Here's a news flash for you, if the webmaster removed every post that fit that criteria, there wouldnt be a board.

80% of whats posted here is unsubstantiated and 50% (and growing rapidly) is slanderous. How many times since Saturday has UNFMustang posted that Bartel is "horrible"? Over and over and Over. Then out of the blue he made a 180 degree turn around, nothing was Bartels fault anymore, it was all the responsibility of SMU's "crappy" wide recievers. Then the guy spent a half dozen posts telling JAF how to eat a specific piece of male anatomy. Funny that no one demanded his posts be removed or banned, etc. Johhny Rock just started a new thread to post his response to SMUSMUSMU, :"you're a piece of crap." Wow, now there's a well thought out, mature, substantiated, thoughtful retort. That really needed a whole new thread to be posted. Anyone going to rant about removing it? Didnt think so.

You cant pick and choose what you want to hear. Well, maybe you can, but its not always the wisest course of action. When an ostrich sticks its head in the sand, it might feel safe because it doesnt have to see the predators coming, but its [deleted] is still hanging out there in the wind.

Dont shoot a messenger just because the story was something you didnt want to hear. Try finding out if its true, first. If anyone knows where Warrie Birdwell is these days, ask him why he quit.
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:27 pm

Uh, there is a big difference here. Posting that someone is "horrible" is an opinion. Basically alleging physical abuse and calling for the NCAA to review the practice films are quite different. It has nothing to do with what I want to hear or not hear. But thanks for the lecture.
Hoop Fan

Postby OldPony » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:37 pm

Actually I was AMENing the proper course of action for a player. Not this board's responsibility. I kind of like it when people get mean and nasty behind their keyboards. I do wish personal attacks on the players would stop though. The effort is good if not the results.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby ponyte » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:42 pm

mrydel,
Hate that U have to stay in Ark this weekend and miss the fun in Dallas. Boy, that Ninth Circus Court of Appalls job is sure tempting but then I would be too far to see my beloved Ponies. Gotta pass on that job opportunity.
ponyte

Postby gostangs » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:46 pm

CPC -

you're right a board is mostly unsubstantiated b.s. with some slander mixed in - and most of it harmless and LOTS of it imature. That said - if someone comes on with a claim against the staff, and the claim is both serious and seems out of character from most of us know about this staff - if I was in charge of the site it would come off.

And by the way - gostangs gets a chuckle everytime CPC refer to himself in the third person because CPC seems so arrogant when CPC does that.
gostangs

Postby Dement-ed » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:59 pm

Apparently I've been asleep at the wheel and missed the thread that has everyone going off here. Which thread is lighting so many fires here?
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Next

Return to Football