PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Great Bill McClanahan

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Great Bill McClanahan

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:39 pm

Seeing planostang's post on the fave memorabilia thread brought back a lot of memories! Sitting at the breakfast table on Friday morning and reading the DMN sports section and the great Bill McClanahan's sports cartoons of the upcoming SWC games for that weekend! Especially his rendition of SMU's 'aerial circus' (Peruna in a WWI bi-wing!) dropping 'bombs' (footballs) on the heads of Bevo, Sarge, Judge, Sammy or the Matador! Does anyone know where I could purchase an 'original' Bill McClanahan cartoon? Are they archived at the DMN? I've searched on ebay and other auction sites but, sadly...nothing. Image Where have all these great cartoons gone?

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: The Great Bill McClanahan

Postby abezontar » Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:16 pm

One of the conference/ballrooms in the basement of Hughes-Trigg has the walls covered in his old cartoons. Nextime you are in town, head to the basement of Hughes-Trigg, and then walk past the bathrooms toward the ballrooms, and it is the farherest room away from you (and also the smallest.)
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:14 pm

Thanks!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:15 pm

yeah - MrMustang1965 - i can remember those friday mornings also...they were great!

remember also that it was every monday morning that he had cartoons of the winners & losers of the saturday's game, as well.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby 50's PONY » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:20 pm

Try Heritage Hall! There are many, many there plus the Heritage Hall Committee has access to just about all of Mr. McClanahan's cartoons.
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby PlanoStang » Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:36 pm

Here's another one.

May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:59 am

Thanks, Planostang! Ironic that you posted that particular Bill McClanahan cartoon. That was the one going into SMU's Homecoming against the Teasips that we won, 31-14!!!!! Thanks for a great memory!

------------------
MrMustang1965

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:16 pm

MrMustang1965,

Here's some newspaper clippings I have of that game. Remember that day well. My little brother had a peewee football game, and we listened to the UT game on the radio at his game. Their uniforms were red and blue, and my brother had to have #37, after hearing about Doak Walker from my Dad.

Might take a minute or so for these to download completely on regular dialup.

[This message has been edited by PlanoStang (edited 09-22-2003).]
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football