PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

triple threat position

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

triple threat position

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:24 pm

No, not hoop talk. Quick hit in the DMN today by Bill Campbell says of Matt Rushbrook and Richard Bartel: "the pair has been one of the few bright spots of the offense". Keylon has obviously been the go-to guy, so he has to be a bright spot too. So we have had some good qb, receiver and running back play huh? I agree, those three are standouts, so whats been missing Pratel? Gotta be the OLine play. The OLine just has to get together as a unit. In fairness to the individuals, they have been shifting positions already due to necessity. I hope Bartel doesnt get killed back there by Okie State. Thats the only reason I suggest being able to play a mobile qb.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: triple threat position

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:35 pm

Until the O-line gets settled it will be just like Josh McCown all over again.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby Hoss » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:37 pm

Except that hopefully if a pass goes incomplete for one reason or another, Bartel won't be looking over his shoulder, wondering if he'll get yanked.
Hoss
All-American

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:42 pm

Also, regarding KK, his 3.49 ypc is about #98 out of the top 100 rushers. That is not so impressive. Of course, from a statistical viewpoint Bartel is not doing well either. So, the O-Line does need to help out. There is also the story about dropped passes.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:53 pm

Hoss - like your name by the way. I'd suggest Pony Hoss, but whatever. Anyway, until our Oline play gets there, there might be some times when you say to Richard, look your my man, but we need some scrambling ability today or right now. I am not an advocate of 2 qbs ala Simms-Applewhite, but this is different...survival if you will. Plus, I think Chris Phillips and Meeks are going to prove too talented to rot on the bench the next 3 years anyway.
Hoop Fan

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:33 pm

We're not going to get anywhere with KK's speed. We can't hand the ball 30 times to a kid that has to bust his butt for 3 yards a carry. We need Massey, but only if we take off his redshirt starting with the OSU game.
After that, I'm not sure if it would be worth it.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:41 am

06 - that has already been announced by Bennett at his press day event - you will see Massey some in the OSU game.
gostangs

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:55 am

He said that he was still considering it, but that probably means it's already done.

Hope we see Massey in action on Saturday!

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 09-17-2003).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:30 am

I think Bennett threw it out there that way to motivate Massey to have a good week of practice. Barring Massey losing concentration or something at practice, my guess is he will definitely play on Saturday. We need 10 good carries out of somebody. 20 is enough for KK.
Hoop Fan

Return to Football