PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OSU/SMU stats, more...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

OSU/SMU stats, more...

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:33 pm

Based on NCAA stats OSU looks like this:
Rush Off #15
Pass Off #89 (based on yards)
Total Off #50
Pass Eff. #97

Our D is:
Rush #30
Pass #58
Total #35
Pass Eff #60

That match-up looks like a battle between our run defense vs. their run offense. If we can slow that down I like our pass defense chances vs. their offense.

Our offense is #99 or worse in all categories. (Fairly balanced bad)

OSU defense:
Rush #68
Pass #23
Total #41
Pass Eff #32

We had better be able to get some yards running. Can you say Massey? KK needs some help.

It goes without saying that we MUST fix the punt/coverage/return games as OSU is #53 in Net punting, #43 in returns, and #38 in KOR while SMU is #100 or worse in all categories.

So we must stuff the run, force passes in longer situations and pick some off and fix the special teams. If the coaches improve the offense against OSU then they are geniuses.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: OSU/SMU stats, more...

Postby Hoss » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:41 pm

I agree that the game probably won't be as lopsided as last year, and closer than a lot of people think. However:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The PonyGrad:
<B>.... I like our pass defense chances vs. their offense.... </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do? Have you seen the Woods brothers? Do you know something I don't? I'm more scared of the OSU passing game than I am of their run game. Convince me I'm wrong!

See yall Saturday - GO PONIES!
Hoss
All-American

Re: OSU/SMU stats, more...

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:46 pm

As I recall looking at the WAC stats for PASS BREAK-UPs SMU DBs had 5 of the top 10 spots.

While I said I like our pass D chances it is relative and depends on OSU tossing ints (if we can get them in some passing situations.)

My big concerns are gaining yards against their defense and special teams so, yeah, if it comes down to our pass D (#60) vs. their pass O (#97) I will take that.

[This message has been edited by The PonyGrad (edited 09-17-2003).]

[This message has been edited by The PonyGrad (edited 09-17-2003).]
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football