PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Wac Expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Wac Expansion

Postby Mickey » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:11 am

I just read Kevin Sherrington's column in today's DMN- "These days,TCU has places to go." The article mentions that Karl Benson, comissioner of the WAC, is trying to expand to a 12 team league by adding Houston, Tulane, and TCU. Since the WAC is currently a 10 team league, which school presently in the WAC gets left out? 10 + 3 does not = 12.

Make the topic WAC Expansion not Wac Expansion.

[This message has been edited by Mickey (edited 09-18-2003).]

Mickey
All-American

Re: Wac Expansion

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:31 am

I'd boot out Hawaii.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTales » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:37 pm

As much as I admit UH is a very good team, and as much as I'd like to make a roadie to that game, I agree - the travel costs are insane and UH has no real rivals in the WAC. If conferences are going to resort back to the days of REGIONAL rivalries, UH should be in the PAC-10.

My question out of that article - if TCU (and Houston or Tulane) were to re-join the WAC, and then SMU got an invitation from C-USA, would we take it? I would think not. C-USA might be a slightly stronger conference at the moment, but there's been so much talk about getting in a league with TCU, Rice, Tulsa, Houston, etc., that I would think we'd stay put.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:55 pm

I would truely like to attend more away games just like everyone else here wants to I would hope! But traveling all the way out to Hawaii and such place is just plain stupid like we've said many times! TCU Houston and Tulane would make it a lot easier for the whole conference to add more fans and keep the rivalaries goin

------------------
The Pride and Winning Tradition of the SMU Mustangs Will Not Be Untrusted to the Weak Nor the Timid
L! O! B! O! S! LOBOS! GO!!!!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Southland » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:50 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mickey:
<B>I just read Kevin Sherrington's column in today's DMN- "These days,TCU has places to go." The article mentions that Karl Benson, comissioner of the WAC, is trying to expand to a 12 team league by adding Houston, Tulane, and TCU. Since the WAC is currently a 10 team league, which school presently in the WAC gets left out? 10 + 3 does not = 12.

Make the topic WAC Expansion not Wac Expansion.

[This message has been edited by Mickey (edited 09-18-2003).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The MWC Commissioner, Craig Thompson, publicly stated (both on the MWC website and in AP reports) that his league is seriously exploring expansion to 9 schools; and that school would be a WAC school...

...definitely not going past 10, and 10 is doubtful because their "presidents feel it is important to play everyone in football." (the quote is from the MWC ask the commish section)
Southland
Varsity

Postby Hoofprint » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:54 pm

So who would be MWC #9? Fresno? Hawaii? My bet is Boise State.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby Water Pony » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:27 pm

I agree on Boise State as the preference for MWC. Hawaii carries extra costs, despite the Bowls. Fresno State has lots of baggage academically
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Hoofprint » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:33 pm

And remember, Boise would bring some connection to the Humanitarian Bowl, I'm sure. I mean, it probably has WAC contract obligations, but you know if Boise is eligible, they're playing in that game, because few fans would travel to Boise in December to see the game. Can you imagine if that game was .... Tulane vs. Boston College? You'd have a crowd in double digits.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mustangs35SMU:
<B>I would truely like to attend more away games just like everyone else here wants to I would hope! But traveling all the way out to Hawaii and such place is just plain stupid like we've said many times! TCU Houston and Tulane would make it a lot easier for the whole conference to add more fans and keep the rivalaries goin

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

M35SMU makes a good point. I frankly envy friends who can say they're going to hop in the car and go watch their team play a road game in Norman, or Fayetteville, or Austin, or Waco (OK, maybe not Waco - saw enough of that place last week). We can make a roadtrip to Fort Worth every other year, but that's different because we're not a conference rival with TCU. I go to Tulsa, and I go to Rice, but I would definitely make another trip to go see my Ponies play UHouston, or Tulane, or Baylor (if they were to somehow end up in a regionally-sensible conference with us), etc.

And, I wonder if a more regional conference would improve television possibilities. On the one hand, a network could say "if your fans want to see your team play so-and-so, they can hop in the car and go - we don't need to televise the games." But on the other hand, if a regional conference was created, the interest in the teams and the games might increase exponentially, as more people would have bragging-rights discussions with friends, co-workers, etc. Games might become more of an "event," thereby convincing network execs that they want to be a part of it.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:41 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hoofprint:
<B>And, I wonder if a more regional conference would improve television possibilities. On the one hand, a network could say "if your fans want to see your team play so-and-so, they can hop in the car and go - we don't need to televise the games." But on the other hand, if a regional conference was created, the interest in the teams and the games might increase exponentially, as more people would have bragging-rights discussions with friends, co-workers, etc. Games might become more of an "event," thereby convincing network execs that they want to be a part of it.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed

------------------
The Pride and Winning Tradition of the SMU Mustangs Will Not Be Untrusted to the Weak Nor the Timid
L! O! B! O! S! LOBOS! GO!!!!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Water Pony » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:36 am

UNLV, Nevada and Hawaii make a case for Reno and Hawaii to join MWC. Hawaii maybe, but not Nevada. Still think Boise State is cleanest fit for a nine member MWC.

<A HREF="http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2003/Sep-18-Thu-2003/sports/22186758.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2003/Sep-18-Thu-2003/sports/22186758.html</A>

[This message has been edited by Water Pony (edited 09-18-2003).]
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:36 am

why not Nevada? If the MWC was to expand to 12 members, Hawaii, Fresno, Boise and Nevada make more sense than TCU. Nevada is much improved in the "revenue" sports and is a good fit geographically. TCU has a good program, but I'm sorry...they will not travel well or help attendance figures in those western locations.

TCU fits in an expanded WAC east, or an expanded CUSA west and belongs with their former SWC mates...whether they care to admit that or not.
Charleston Pony

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:00 am

"whether they care to admit that or not."

that's the key right there...will ego get in their way of making a sound business decision?
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Return to Football