PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Absolute MUST-read

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Absolute MUST-read

Postby Troup32 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:32 pm

If yall haven't read it already, go to the home page and read the story about Jerry LeVias, who's going to be honored Saturday at halftime. Mr. Whitmire did a beautiful job with that story.
Troup32
Scout Team

Re: Absolute MUST-read

Postby PonyTales » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:43 pm

Hard to believe all that went on.
I had the honor of meeting Jerry once years ago, and he's a hell of a good man. Even if you weren't an SMU fan, you can't help but like the man.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:45 pm

Indeed. We should all be very proud that Jerry LeVias is a Mustang.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Troup32 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:47 pm

So when are they going to retire his number?
He was a legitimate star in many ways. He deserves it.
Troup32
Scout Team

Postby Casey » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:00 pm

How cool would that be? At the end of halftime, after the Ponies stampede their way out of the tunnel, they bring out LeVias and read a nice speech about what he went through and all his accomplishments. He starts shaking everyone's hand, etc., with the team applauding around him. Then, before anyone leaves the field, Cedric Dorsey steps forward and takes off his jersey and hands it to Jerry. Only instead of "DORSEY" being written across the back, it says "LeVIAS."

Bingo, number retired, and a complete surprise to Jerry. That would be emotional, and might go a long way toward bbringing him back into the Mustangs' stable. He's a part of our family, and we need him to remain that way.
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby Hoofprint » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:59 pm

That's a brilliant idea, Casey. And I bet Cedric would be almost as honored as Jerry, just to be a part of it.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby PlanoStang » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:27 pm

The surprise jersey retirement sounds GREAT!
Wish they'd really do it.

May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:44 pm

Yep, something special needs to happen for Levias. I will be disappointed if they just do the normal dry introduction and handshake. He deserves better and the situation calls for it. This is dreaming, but if I was Gerald Ford I would walk into Turners office and tell him I want the stadium renamed Doak Walker Stadium and the new field dedicated as Jerry Levias Field. Thats what I'd do, but I guess billonaires don't think that way, maybe thats why I'm not one.
Hoop Fan

Postby PK » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:44 pm

Call Woody Norris at the Athletic Department and pass the idea on to him...he would probably be pretty receptive if there is still time to get it organized
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Silk » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:49 pm

The stale introduction and handshake just won't do, especially since by halftime, half the crowd or more will be OSU backers. It needs to be something REALLY special for a great Mustang.

I also like the idea of getting LeVias more involved with the program. One way would be to create a team award in his name for the best receiver, leading yardage, most receiving touchdowns -- something. Then invite Jerry to Dallas each year to present it to one of the current Mustangs. Not only would Jerry be a little more involved, but the current players would learn a little more about their school's history.
Silk
Varsity

Postby Silk » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:55 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PK:
<B>Call Woody Norris at the Athletic Department and pass the idea on to him...he would probably be pretty receptive if there is still time to get it organized</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

at 214-768-8377.
Silk
Varsity

Postby Hoofprint » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:14 pm

Has anyone called or e-mailed this idea to Woody Norris?
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:32 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hoofprint:
<B>Has anyone called or e-mailed this idea to Woody Norris?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I spoke to Mr. Norris this afternoon. LeVias does not meet the criteria for retiring an SMU jersey. However, there are plans in the works for future recognition of LeVias and other SMU greats via a 'Ring of Honor'-type concept.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:48 pm

I really liked those helmets with the mustang 'standing-up' on the sides.

sharp & original!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Stallion » Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:07 pm

"LeVias doesn't meet SMU's criteria for retiring jerseys"-What does that mean? I guess you have to sit on the bench for 4 years and then star in pro football and/or donate millions to the university to get your jersey retired at SMU.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Next

Return to Football