PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Attendance on Saturday

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Attendance on Saturday

Postby PonySnob » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:01 pm

How have ticket sales been going for the game on Saturday?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Attendance on Saturday

Postby PonyTales » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:05 pm

I've heard we're expecting somewhere around 25,000, including walk-up sales.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:19 pm

Frankly, that ain't good. We need 30K for this game to help our average. If OSU brings 10K, are we saying there will be 15,000 SMU fans for our home opener against a Big 12 school? Ouch, but I can't say I am surprised that our fans our down right now in both numbers and spirits.
Hoop Fan

Postby Eddie P » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:43 pm

I was under the impression we were not far from a sell-out...

Postby Hoofprint » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:52 pm

HoopFan makes a good point. But I wonder: if it was a WAC team we were facing instead of a Big 12 team - and a team we match up better with, like a Rice or someone - do you think the SMU fan contingent would be larger, given a better oportunity to win?
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:44 pm

Well look at how many people made the trip to Baylor after we lost to Texas Tech 58-10!

------------------
The Pride and Winning Tradition of the SMU Mustangs Will Not Be Untrusted to the Weak Nor the Timid
L! O! B! O! S! LOBOS! GO!!!!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:37 pm

How many went to Baylor? It wasn't a bad showing, but I wouldn't call it great either. They only announced 30K in the stadium that day, which surprised me.
Hoop Fan

Postby Sewanee Stang » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:48 pm

I thought that the attendance was more like 38-40k.
Sewanee Stang
Varsity

Postby Silk » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:52 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mustangs35SMU:
<B>Well look at how many people made the trip to Baylor after we lost to Texas Tech 58-10!

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have to remember, it was a chance to take a roadtrip - a great college experience - without driving to the end of the earth, and to see a game that we had a legitimate chance of winning. When I was in school, everyone I knew drove to Waco, Fort Worth, Austin, etc to see the Ponies play, and a lot drove to Houston and College Station, too.

I wonder if the loss at Baylor will keep fans from even walking across campus to see the Ponies. Sure hope not.
Silk
Varsity

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:02 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hoofprint:
<B>I wonder: if it was a WAC team we were facing instead of a Big 12 team - and a team we match up better with, like a Rice or someone - do you think the SMU fan contingent would be larger, given a better oportunity to win?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Silk:
<B>to see a game that we had a legitimate chance of winning.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats excatly what I was answering Silk.

------------------
The Pride and Winning Tradition of the SMU Mustangs Will Not Be Untrusted to the Weak Nor the Timid
L! O! B! O! S! LOBOS! GO!!!!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Stallion » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:11 pm

I thought the SMU contingent at Baylor was bigger than expected-that being said it was HORRIBLE in comparison to every other school in Texas. Guess you got to walk before you can run. Remember TCU brought at least 10-12,000 to Ford on a cold rainy November night a few years ago.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:15 pm

How can you compare going to Waco to TCU coming to Ford that season? They were having a huge break though season. As for the worst in Texas, I don't think Rice travels any better as a rule and Houston probably doesn't either. Baylor does have a loyal following.

[This message has been edited by Hoop Fan (edited 09-18-2003).]
Hoop Fan

Postby abezontar » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:16 pm

And wasn't the official attendance somewhere between 11-13000? (being sarcastic) That was a horrible horrible night, but I hope that someday we can start beating teams as badly.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SmooBoy » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:25 pm

With a nice day Saturday, I think we should reasonably expect 26K. With a win over Baylor, I think it is 30+. It is a chance for local yokels to see a ranked team in their own backyard.

TCU has no ranked teams at home on their schedule and neither does N. Texas. We have possibly two more teams that could be on the cusp of being ranked coming later in the season - Fresno and Boise. Let's market these games as such!
SmooBoy

Postby SmooBoy » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:34 pm

We need a full student section on Saturday. The Pokes fans will fill a bunch of that side but we need lots and lots of our folks behind the Mustang Band. That's where the TV cameras will be showing the most crowd shots.
SmooBoy

Next

Return to Football