PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

QB

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

QB

Postby 5-0 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:52 pm

Sure was a good call not starting Wallis at QB, after all look how much success the current starter is having.

[This message has been edited by 5-0 (edited 09-18-2003).]
5-0

Re: QB

Postby The PonyGrad » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:07 pm

I can not believe you are bringing this up. Last year Wallis was 50 points below Bartell in efficiency, 15% lower in completion %, and 1/2 the yards per game.

We have some things to fix on offense but selection of the QB (at least with respect to Wallis) is not one of them.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 5-0 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:13 pm

You really think Wallis is that bad, or was he the fall guy for a horrible team? From what I have seen Wallis was not, or is not your problem.
5-0

Postby Stallion » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:15 pm

No he was easily the worst, least prepared starting QB in the last 40 years of SMU FB.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:21 pm

great, we got another friend/relative speaking objectively on the board. Wallis is a great kid, and a real "gamer" in my opinion. But Bartel did things in 5 games last year that Wallis never did in 7 or 8. There was no question who won the job on the field.
Hoop Fan

Postby OldPony » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:25 pm

40 years is a long time. I remember Donnie Olfinger playing with a wired jaw and a knocked down shoulder because the other 2 QB's were hurt. While Wallis was not effective, the comparison with Bartel is not a fair one. Bartel took over when we started playing the weakest teams of our schedule. Wallis was definitely a better runner. That said, I like Bartel better and QB isn't the problem with this team. I thought Bartel was in a funk against Baylor but that happens occasionally. Again, problems are bigger than QB.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby 5-0 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:27 pm

Hey Stallion I guess you'll be saying that about Bartel next year after he fails to win a game. I mean using everyone's logic on this board the QB is the only one who sucks on this team.

[This message has been edited by 5-0 (edited 09-18-2003).]
5-0

Postby Hoofprint » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:12 pm

Look, Coach Bennett has been very up-front about the fact that Tate wasn't ready to play at the beginning of the year last year. He also has said that if Bartel had been the opening-day starter last season, he wouldn't have been ready. They each have 7 or 8 starts in their college CAREERS. It's way too early to dogpile either one, or to annoint one as the savior of the program.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby MizterTea » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:29 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 5-0:
<B>Hey Stallion I guess you'll be saying that about Bartel next year after he fails to win a game. I mean using everyone's logic on this board the QB is the only one who sucks on this team.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
"I can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty."
- George Burns

[This message has been edited by MizterTea (edited 09-18-2003).]
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Return to Football