PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UNBELIEVEABLE! JERRY LEVIAS BEING HONORED TOMORROW AND NO MENTION OF IT ON SMU'S SITE

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

UNBELIEVEABLE! JERRY LEVIAS BEING HONORED TOMORROW AND NO MENTION OF IT ON SMU'S SITE

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:15 pm

So...the great Jerry LeVias is being honored tomorrow at halftime for his induction to the College Football Hall of Fame this year and there is no mention of it on the 'official' SMU web site (at least, I didn't see it...please tell me if I'm wrong!) and the only mention of it here on <A HREF="http://www.ponyfans.com" TARGET=_blank>www.ponyfans.com</A> is the link to the DMN story by Keith Whitmire from yesterday's DMN.

I had to find out from BornRed&Blue who saw it mentioned in Thursday's Dallas Morning News!

This is sad. Could this also be the reason that the game is being broadcast or will the halftime recognition be pre-empted for highlights from other NCAA games?

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 09-19-2003).]
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: UNBELIEVEABLE! JERRY LEVIAS BEING HONORED TOMORROW AND NO MENTION OF IT ON SMU'S SITE

Postby fbdad » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:35 pm

Ck "Absolute MUST read" thread on this forum dated 9/18/03
fbdad
Junior Varsity

Re: UNBELIEVEABLE! JERRY LEVIAS BEING HONORED TOMORROW AND NO MENTION OF IT ON SMU'S SITE

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:45 pm

fbdad: thanks!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby SmooPower » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:10 pm

<A HREF="http://www.smumustangs.com/gameday.asp?id=20&sport=football" TARGET=_blank>http://www.smumustangs.com/gameday.asp?id=20&sport=football</A>

"SMU great Jerry Levias will be recognized."

It's not much but it's on there.
SmooPower
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:13 pm

Jerry LeVias is the only SMU player that I know of that had his own cheer. anybody else remember---"Go Jerry-Umm-Ahh!"
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:19 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Smoo Power:
<B><A HREF="http://www.smumustangs.com/gameday.asp?id=20&sport=football" TARGET=_blank>http://www.smumustangs.com/gameday.asp?id=20&sport=football</A>

"SMU great Jerry Levias will be recognized."

It's not much but it's on there.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Smoo Power, for finding the proverbial 'needle in the haystack'! I still think the Ath. Dept. dropped the ball on this one! Maybe I just expect too much...

------------------
MrMustang1965

Postby PK » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:19 pm

Well I won't defend us not having something bigger on the smumustang site, but having it on the front page of the DMN sports section reaches a lot more people...wonder how that information made it to the news paper??? Hmmm...think marketing might have had anything to do with that?
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:23 pm

SMU has not embraced Levias since he left the school. And that's another story. I'm glad he's being recognized. Those were exciting times on the Hilltop!!!
Bergermeister

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:23 pm

"SMU has not embraced Levias since he left the school. And that's another story."

but has smu ever embraced our athletes?

i guess u could take that back to the 60's when our traditions began to die!

boy-its %^%# trying to start 'em back again when you're losing! i have a feeling things are FINALLY changing with bennett there or at least with him trying to push the perverbial rope vs. pulling it!

[This message has been edited by Navy&Crimson (edited 09-19-2003).]
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby IslandBoy » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:30 pm

I gotta agree with PK on this one. Who do you think pitched the idea to the DMN, provided the photos, etc.? I'd have to believe that was the Athletic Department...
IslandBoy

Postby Ikus » Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:36 am

Well, whoever pitched it deserves a pat on the back, because it's really happening. I saw the Great Jerry LeVias at the Letterman's BBQ tonight when I was on my way in to the women's soccer game (nice win, Ponies.)
Ikus
Heisman

Return to Football