PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Game keys for Saturday.

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Game keys for Saturday.

Postby JasonB » Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:02 pm

Just wanted to give out my keys for the game.

- Offensively, the right side of the offensive line will try to churn out some running yardage for the Ponies. The ends on OSU are not big, and the tackles aren't huge. The Ponies have a size advantage on that side of the line and will look to take advantage of it, just like they tried to do against Baylor. So look for a lot of run right, and the success of that play will help determine the success of SMU in holding the football.

- The corners of OSU do NOT have a height advantage this week on the Mustang receivers. SMU might be a little more effective throwing the ball than they were against Baylor, because our receivers shouldn't be jammed at the line as easily.

Defensively, here are some things to watch:

- Offensively, OSU will have a major size advantage in the middle of the line, and will probably try to establish the run first. Expect a lot of lead and Iso plays up the middle.

- OSU has a height advantage at WR with the Woods brothers. This will be taken advantage of at some point. SMU has to be able to stop the run up the middle because if we have to pull a saftey up, they will use their height by hitting these receivers on deep balls.

- Pass rush is very important for the Mustangs. If you get to the QB in time, you don't give him a chance to throw the ball deep.

- The final thing to look for is special teams play. Going into the game, OSU looks to have a major advantage in the special teams department, expecially punting the ball. SMU will have to make some plays of its own in the special teams area to keep the game close. I expect the early part of the game will chew up time with both teams trying to establish a power rushing game, so the first team who makes a big play will have a major advantage. Look for that big play to come out of the special teams area.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Game keys for Saturday.

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:12 pm

really good analysis, but are there really any keys to the game when you are a 24 point dog? My head tell me just get experience for the young guys for the WAC, but my heart wants to win any game played. After last years Stillwater showing, I feel like I am going to the executioner tomorrow.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangsnake » Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:19 pm

"Going into the game, OSU looks to have a major advantage in the special teams department, expecially punting the ball." - Jason B.

#18, Cole Farden, Punter - P
Farden finished the 02' season with a 41.4 yards per punt average on 57 kicks, including 13 downed inside the 20. On kickoffs, he had 43 touchbacks in 72 attempts last season and 60 of 123 in his career.
Also good buds w/Bartel as both played together at Grapevine.
Go Buster.
mustangsnake
Recruit

Postby MizterTea » Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:27 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hoop Fan:
<B>really good analysis, but are there really any keys to the game when you are a 24 point dog?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
"I can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty."
- George Burns
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby JustAFriend » Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:08 am

Hey Snake, I just hope we make that crazy Farden kid punt alot...he cracks me up.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby Ikus » Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:32 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JasonB:
<B> - Offensively, OSU will have a major size advantage in the middle of the line.... </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that true even if/when we line up the freshmen, Bonds and Jones, next to each other? That's 600-plus pounds of interior linemen.
Ikus
Heisman

Return to Football