PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Same song, second verse

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Same song, second verse

Postby Sam I Am » Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:49 pm

SMU is behind 38-0 at the half. Last year it was about 41-0. This year our defensive secondary is helpless against Woods who catches 5 TD's in one half alone. We change QB's in the second quarter and the offense remains inept. How much of this can we stand?
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Re: Same song, second verse

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:52 pm

Just back from the bar. I watched the 1st half and our 1st offensive and defensive series of the 2nd half. Not much you can say other than this was a TOTAL physical mismatch. OSU's line threw our guys around like ragdolls. Hope Adami's injury isn't serious, as we need him for WAC play.

My buddy (a Fla St fan) commented that we looked like a high school team, and by comparison with OSU I had to agree.

Dr Turner was interviewed at half and talked about how important Ford Stadium and the Blvd are to restoring competitive football at SMU, but acknowledged that we need a "few years" of improved recruiting before we can close the gap that exists between our program and those like OSU. Of course, he talked about the PALS program and the learning center and how SMU's players are well equipt to be successful in life after their playing days are over.

One encouraging thing I saw tonight was Desmond Jones play. For a true frosh, DJ's a hoss and was one of the few guys who was not outmatched physically.

Also...Looks like Massey's RS was lifted tonite. Hopefully he can become a factor in WAC play.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:09 pm

Hmm.. I was actually really impressed. I watched all the way up til the 4th.. we sure as hell didn't look like a high school team. Defense looks solid--we're not going to face a Rashaun Woods every nite. Can't believe Tate is moving the ball.. at all. whew what happened to Bartel Image I think he should have been put back in. Yanking him for the whole game was the wrong decision.

The offense is pretty bad, but that's just something we'll have to deal with. KK was great, but I didn't like the plays they called when Massey was in the backfield.

Oh well, I definitely see an improvement from last year. And those red unis are SHARP Image
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:28 pm

Red unis were horrible. We need to junk them forever - they make us look high school - bring back the new blue - and then after that bring back the mid 80's and quit monkeying with them.
gostangs

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:30 pm

You're out of your mind. The reds were GREAT. Everyone at the bar also said they were sharp.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby red&blue » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:35 pm

There were some OSU fans sitting right behind us. (and in front of us, and on all sides of us...) These guys actually started yelling encouraging words to our guys! They were horrified at such an uneven game. I have never been so embarrassed. I know games like this get butts in the seats and $$$ on the campus but this is ridiculous. Until this thing STARTS to turn around, I won't be back. This is just too hard to watch, year after year. I don't want to hear any excuses because there have been too many years of this. We are truly the laughing stock of football. I feel just awful for our players.
red&blue
Scout Team

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:46 pm

I guess I AM the only one that's positive after that game. I don't understand some of you :\\
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Diehard Pony » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:48 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UNFMustang06:
[B]Hmm.. . Can't believe Tate is moving the ball.. at all. whew what happened to Bartel? I think he should have been put back in. Yanking him for the whole game was the wrong decision.

I'm not sure we were watching the same game. Tate Wallis was infinitely more effective at quarterback tonight than was Bartel. I was a Bartel fan coming into tonight, and still think he could play with a seasoned line and good receivers. However, with the team we have, I think that Tate is the clear choice. His mobility gives us a chance, and even his passing accuracy was better than Bartel's tonight.

Actually, my first choice would be to pull Phillips redshirt, but knowing that is not going to happen, Tate would be my clear choice for this specific team.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Hoop Fan » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:57 pm

Like everyone else, I sat through alot of long afternoons at Ownby in the early 90s. This was by far the worst game experience of my life. Part of it was Okie State is very good and have a pro-style offense we just can't match up with at all. The Aggies and others in the SWC used to be somewhat limited offensively, so we could at least save some face. Not tonight. Total mismatch. The Okie State fans have not had a lot of chances to see their team in Dallas, and they showed big tonight. Not to mention they have high expectations for their team. Onward to the Little WAC.
Hoop Fan

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:59 pm

Oh Tate definitely played better, but I think Bartel is still a better QB.. he just needs confidence. At the same time, you may be right. With our recievers, a mobile QB may be a better option right now.

I thought our run defense was fantastic, esp against their star RB.

Oh guess what, everyone look at ESPN.Com. WE made the front page! Image And the red unis looks sharp on there too. Ha.

Also, the WAC is getting crushed tonite. This season doesn't look particularly bright, even for the West teams.

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 09-20-2003).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Football