PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Poll: Would the 1989 team beat the 2003 team??

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Poll: Would the 1989 team beat the 2003 team??

Postby PonySnob » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:21 am

No!
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Poll: Would the 1989 team beat the 2003 team??

Postby Sam I Am » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:51 am

Yes, by the time they were seniors in 1992.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:32 am

The 89 team would've beat Notre Dame if we had Mike Romo throwing to OK State's Woods guy in the run n shoot. He broke the NCAA record for number of TD catches in one game (7), and I hope thats why they left him in the second half, and kept throwing long to him. It was starting to bring back memories of listening to the 89 UH game on the radio.

Normally I'd root for OSU against Texas, OU etc., but after tonight, the way the kept throwing long to Woods NO WAY!!
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:37 am

They left him in to get the record - we would have done the same thing - maybe we should have made an adjustment to at least try to stop him -
gostangs

Postby Ikus » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:37 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PlanoStang:
<B>
The 89 team would've beat Notre Dame if we had Mike Romo throwing to OK State's Woods guy in the run n shoot. He broke the NCAA record for number of TD catches in one game (7), and I hope thats why they left him in the second half, and kept throwing long to him. It was starting to bring back memories of listening to the 89 UH game on the radio.

Normally I'd root for OSU against Texas, OU etc., but after tonight, the way the kept throwing long to Woods NO WAY!! </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have a big problem with them throwing to Woods once the record was in sight. It's a once-in-a-lifetime thing for Woods and for a coach and for the rest of the team to be a part of something like that. What I do have a problem with is OSU calling a timeout with just over a minute left in the first half and then throwing three straight passes downfield when they already had a huge lead. It's not like they were out of time to get the ball to Woods as he went after the record. But the timeout, to me, was Miles trying to show up the Mustangs, and that was classless.

The Cowboys and their fans, on the whole, were very classy and respectful. Their coach was not.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:51 am

well Phil Bennett's defensive philosophy is to play one-on-one on the outside receivers-and he's been successful playing that way in his career. That's why he's moved Barnett and Turner, two recruits who could probably help us on offense to CB because he is looking for the shutdown corner who runs a 4.3. I watched the highlights on ESPN and actually Woods beat 4 different SMU backs-and several times we were right there to make the play especially Jonas-but its a talent mismatch when you got perhaps the best receiver in the nation who is 6-3 going up against a 5-9 guy. But the comments on ESPN were they were wondering when they were going to use double coverage on him-and then they all laughed. First, you got to get the kids that run a 4.3-preferrably ones with some height. When those 3-4 kids commit to UT, Miami et al you still need the 4.3 kids to play that defense. The hope is that Jonathan Lindley who is the number 40 player in the state according to the Insiders and has some height and great speed will be one of those shut down corners-let's hope so because let's face it that philosophy hasn't worked for two years and its been our biggest weakspot even with some good kids like Kevin Garrett and Jonas. Back to the recruiting trail....

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 09-20-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby giacfsp » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:58 am

Hey Stallion, your thoughts please? Curious what you think should be our biggest recruiting priority now. I used to thing defensive line, but Bonds and Jones look really promising, and Justin Rogers and Lucky DeLay and Charlie Berry all have shown promise, in games or at least practice.

While I agree that we need secondary help, we have added some very good athletes there, who are just so young they aren't ready to contribute (Fred Turner, Ervin McGee, C.D. Moss, etc.) My thinking after tonight is that we should focus intently on shoring up the offensive line. I want to believe that guys like Turner, Burley, Boren and Peveto will be real players. But the fact is we need MUCH more size and strength and depth.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:07 am

We played a team tonite that was better than us at every single position on the field and I mean every single position including punter and place kicker and they might win 7-8 games this year-so it depends and what you mean-competing in the WAC or competing with Top 25 schools like TCU, OSU, and Tech. Seriously, I'm not sure we have a player on our team who would start at OSU or Tech-it is a massive rebuilding job at every single position. I think our redshirt Freshmen LBs might be that caliber but who knows.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:08 am

I echo those comments Stallion. If I've been consistent in anything I've said, it's been that this rebuilding effort is going to take awhile because we simply don't have the level and depth of talent at key positions. I also think some of the LB's we're bringing in are definitely of that caliber...I think Bennett is doing the right thing by rebuilding using mainly HS kids.. some people in this program (ie the faculty/administration) would not approve of brining in JUCOS in the #'s that I think Bennett would need. What do you think about that issue?

I think we're doing the right thing, we're going about it the right way, even if it is slower that we'd like. I see progress. I think fundamentally, we're a better football team. We're getting better with each game at every position that CAN get better. I think a lot of these kids are simply limited by their god given gifts. This team is young and has both experienced guys that aren't necessarily of the caliber that's needed to compete at the top of our conference (and ooc) and guys that have the talent but are just undeveloped and this is why they're being redshirted. It's going to be 2,3, even 4 classes I think before we really see GOOD talent two-deep in the rotation at most of the key positions.

I hate that we can't compete right now... even NTSU kept the score 31-7 against Arkansas, and even though we think ourselves a better team than NTSU, the fact is, they've never had the limitations that we've had, and I think they have the depth of talent to compete and win against teams that we struggle to stay close with. Their program didn't just start winning overnight. It took years, not one season, and certainly not one or two games like so many fans on here seem to think.

Again, all we can ask for is progress. So how about we focus on what steps in the right direction we're taking and what we still need to address to stay on the right track. We'll get there, but Mustang fans, adopt a patient attitude or we're just going to frustrate ourselves to death.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Football