PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A Few Issues

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

A Few Issues

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:01 pm

RED SHIRTS:

We don't want to take them all off, then we would end up having 40 guys graduating (our best core of players) all at once in 2006.

EFFORT:

Unlike some recent past years, I did not see this team give up. They continued to fight, but they were simply overmatched. That is encouraging.

I just saw a huge OSU team hold the OLine against FR Dline of SMU, and I saw a HUGE FAST receiver get open and catch everything (perhaps 2 of those TDs were Offensive PI, who knows).

QBS:

Bartel was overwhelmed. The speed rush was too much for him. I was glad to see TATE in there, he seemed poised, and threw the ball much better than last year. Bartel is, like Bennett said, too young to be expected to compete right now at the highest level of Div-1A.

PREDICTION:

I still can see 4-5 wins this year, not because how much we improve, but because the fact that 4-5 of our WAC breathren are worse than we are.

IMPROVEMENT:

In 2004 we should start to solidify, our TOP LBs will be used, our taller WRs/TEs will have a year under their belt, and the DLine and Oline should be bigger and stronger.

In 2005/2006 we should make a run at the WAC title. This young team has been recognized as being a young team being bulit for the future by several publications.

I know it is extremely hard to be patient, I have been living this hell since 1989 as all of you have most probably. We just need to keep our heads up and look at the positive improvements, though this last game was hard to see any. But, again, I did see a team that kept fighting until the end. I do recall earlier teams that clearly had given up on the sidelines.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Re: A Few Issues

Postby echothat1 » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:17 pm

All I saw was a bunch of bewildered kids all dressed up in new uniforms who were in SHOCK!

Unfortunately, the DMN said it the best: "Road kill has been more appealing [to look at]."

Sad, indeed.
echothat1
Scout Team

Postby StangEsq » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:25 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoRedGoBlue:
<B>PREDICTION:

I still can see 4-5 wins this year, not because how much we improve, but because the fact that 4-5 of our WAC breathren are worse than we are.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If there are 4-5 teams worse than we are in the WAC, this conference is worse than the Sun Belt.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:44 pm

Considering that the WAC just went 0-8 this week...

MTSU lost 41-40 to Missouri in OT.

THREE: UTEP, Rice, and TULSA are worse than SMU

TWO POSSIBLE: we shall see about SJSU and UH which on paper would seem to be better, but have been blown out of late.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby KnuckleStang » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:53 pm

You're right, GRGB, we were completely overwhelmed by bigger, faster stronger athletes. I got to watch the game at a local bar, which was very loud, and it would have been nice to have some sound, but in NYC you can't really be a chooser. Some thoughts:

It appears to me Wallis might be the right option for our offense right now. With this O line, the pressure is going to be frequent, unfortunately. Bartel might be the better passer of the two, but I have yet to see (or hear) him elude a pass rush. Wallis is more mobile, and at least we have a chance.

I was also impressed with Wallis' competitiveness. He is a spunky buzzard. Did anybody else see him basically run over their DB for a first down, then get up in his face to talk smack? I hate when Miami does that, but I must admit in this case it didn't bother me.

Blake Warren needs to lower his shoe size about 1 1/2 sizes.

Rushbrook's one-handed TD was flat-out COCKY.

Woods' record-breaking performance has put the highlights on TV even in NY. The expression "any pub is good pub" definitely does not apply in this case. Still, I don't know how anybody thought we would even contain that guy. But 7 TD's seems a little over the top...

With this WAC schedule, maybe we can take off these damn ankle weights.

Anybody know an attendance figure for last night's game?
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby echothat1 » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:57 pm

Attendance was 27,000
echothat1
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:59 pm

about 27k

while it might be nice to schedule those directional Louisiana schools or Ark St or some I-AA opponents for a shot at some Sept wins, games like this are necessary so we can maintain the 15k average required to compete at I-A. It also serves as a painful reminder of how far we have to go too compete with the big boys.

[This message has been edited by Charleston Pony (edited 09-21-2003).]
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby KnuckleStang » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:42 pm

Agreed. And whenever we do turn this thing around, we won't really know unless we're keeping teams like this on our schedule.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:59 pm

If Tate Willis is the answer let's see the freshmen-why play a player significant minutes if he ain't in your future plans. If you are building for that 2005 championship run get the kids on the field who are going to make it happen-and that ain't Tate Willis.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:14 pm

that's Wallis, but you may be right. I assume Bennett doesn't want to lift the redshirts of either Phillips or Meeks, but if we get blown out at Nevada and can't move the ball you have to believe he's going to be tempted to give Phillips an early look. What few supporters SMU has left are getting restless.
Charleston Pony

Postby The CPC » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:22 pm

CPC has just 2 issues of his own:

Tates last name is Wallis, not Willis.

SMU does not play Univ. of Hawaii this year, so looking at them as a potential victory this season probably isnt realistic.
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:36 pm

No, I didn't say TATE was the answer, just in that situation.

Unfortunately, TATE doesnt have the arm or accuracy, but he does seem like a MAN out there directing what he wants done. He is akin to Bucky Richardson, a hell of a competitor, but not much of an arm. However, he did have more zip on the ball, but still lacks touch or accuracy, don't know if he is maybe more accurate than last year.

As for 2005, well, I am still hopeful that BARTEL gets it back together.

[This message has been edited by GoRedGoBlue (edited 09-21-2003).]
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby giacfsp » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:35 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The CPC:
<B>.... Tates last name is Wallis, not Willis.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While you're correcting people's spelling, go ahead and throw an apostrophe before the "s" in "Tate's"
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Corso » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:38 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoRedGoBlue:
<B>RED SHIRTS:

We don't want to take them all off, then we would end up having 40 guys graduating (our best core of players) all at once in 2006.

EFFORT:

Unlike some recent past years, I did not see this team give up. They continued to fight, but they were simply overmatched. That is encouraging.

I just saw a huge OSU team hold the OLine against FR Dline of SMU, and I saw a HUGE FAST receiver get open and catch everything (perhaps 2 of those TDs were Offensive PI, who knows).

QBS:

Bartel was overwhelmed. The speed rush was too much for him. I was glad to see TATE in there, he seemed poised, and threw the ball much better than last year. Bartel is, like Bennett said, too young to be expected to compete right now at the highest level of Div-1A.

PREDICTION:

IMPROVEMENT:

In 2004 we should start to solidify, our TOP LBs will be used, our taller WRs/TEs will have a year under their belt, and the DLine and Oline should be bigger and stronger.

In 2005/2006 we should make a run at the WAC title. This young team has been recognized as being a young team being bulit for the future by several publications.

I know it is extremely hard to be patient, I have been living this hell since 1989 as all of you have most probably. We just need to keep our heads up and look at the positive improvements, though this last game was hard to see any. But, again, I did see a team that kept fighting until the end. I do recall earlier teams that clearly had given up on the sidelines.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GoRedGoBlue nailed the important parts:

The team never quit last night. That's vital if the Ponies are going to improve. Which they will. We won't see a defensive line with that combination of size and speed and strength again this year. Thankfully.

The freshman LBs who are redshirting this year are going to be a special bunch. Not that this year's crew is bad - that might be the best part of the team. But the three youngsters are going to be dynamite.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:36 pm

Our QB situation is summed up nicly when you mention that our mobility goes up hugely when Wallis goes in - I cannot wait to see an SMU team under a really mobil quarterback again - I have always wondered why we don't alway have the fastest quarterback and the best punter in the nation. I like Wallis's leadership it won't be the last time we use him - someone who knows - can he convert to TE? - Bartel needs to start getting more pissed off and less skitish - I would guess this is coming soon - I know he is a competitor.
gostangs

Return to Football