PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Some Thoughts

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Some Thoughts

Postby i10pony » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:20 pm

SMU should get rid of the drunk goons in the end zone.Great all we need is a bunch of drunk frat boys in ties acting like buffoons representing SMU on T.V.. And it also pained me to see so many metroplex kids on the OK State roster.Guys like Tommie Devereaux, and Xavier Lawson-Kennedy should be Mustangs. I hope Bennet can get our recruiting up so we can get guys like that. I'm out .
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Re: Some Thoughts

Postby KnuckleStang » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:32 pm

i10, have to disagree with you on the drunk goons comment. In fact, I was relieved to see them. Come on, we need all the students we can get to attend the game, and I did the same thing when I was there (minus the tie, of course). I'd worry a lot more if there were no drunk goons to be found in Ford.

[This message has been edited by KnuckleStang (edited 09-21-2003).]
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:04 pm

I don't mind them being there but let's think up something for them to do-because he's right they just look like drunk fraternity boys. I'm serious numerous schools have honorary spirit groups like Texas has the Cowboys, Tech has the Saddle Tramps, Baylor has a huge spirit group the name of which escapes me.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby red&blue » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:11 pm

I agree. I am glad those students care enough to be there. But they do need something else to do. Hanging around, drunk in the endzone, is just not the image we need. I think a spirit group is a great idea.
red&blue
Scout Team

Postby KnuckleStang » Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:04 pm

All good points...I do agree it would be nice if they were not so obviously hammered, on what was basically national TV. But it represents student "support," and I'll take it any way I can get it. That kind of behavior can be a little tiresome to adults. But if I was a high school senior, neck-ties not withstanding, I might say SMU looks like a place where it's still pretty fun to attend a football game. A spirit club is a great idea, I agree, but let's face it, asking frat-boys, who are known to have their own narrow social agendas, to do that, while worth a shot, is not terribly realistic, in my opinion. I have to say, they looked awfully happy doing what they were doing.

Think about UVA for a second. They had 2 winning seasons in 30 years from the 50's thru the 70's, were literally the perennial laughing stock of football before Welsh got there. But were notorious for having surprisingly well-attended games by students, who pretty much all wore ties and brought dates, all drunk. It was more of a social event than a sporting event, true, because their product was so bad. But it didn't stop students from coming, and it didn't hurt their reputation as a school. Rather, it enhanced their appeal in some circles, as a place to get a quality education (like SMU), and also have a vigorous social life centered around campus sporting events. Which is what we need!

I guess I don't want to sound like I'm defending a bunch of drunk clowns in ties in the end zone not watching the game, but I kind of am. I'd like to see at least 1,000 more of them, and if they want to wear ties, and hit the Jim Beam, and bring hot chicks (lord knows there are plenty to choose from), have at it.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby i10pony » Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:36 pm

I was in a fraternity while I was at SMU, and I got hammered at games too but SMU has a image problem as a school of over privlidged rich kids and those goons, squires or whatever you wan to call them help perpetuate that image.I like CP's idea of having a thousand or so kids dressed up like that as opposed to some psedo-selective group of frat boys that call themselves the squires.It would be more inclusive. The squires that is the gayest thing I have ever heard of.
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Postby i10pony » Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:44 pm

I mean I like Knucle Stang's idea.
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:03 pm

My son is a current student and frat guy. My sense is that the fraternities don't make attendance important enough to ensure they and their dates and future pledges are at home games and for nearby road games.

Bennett did visit them early last year when he came on board. What can be done to have fraternities, sororities, other teams, dorms, etc. attend in mass? I know, who wants to attend blow-out games, but isn't that the point of being a current student, alum, fan, etc. I don't remember missing many games as a student in the sixties, win or lose. You simply went to the Cotton Bowl.

Go Ponies!
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:09 pm

Free Keg Parties for the fraternity with the highest attendance!!!!!! O.K> maybe not such a good idea-but it might not be far off-some kind of official recognition like a flag or symbol that could be displayed at the next party on the Boulevard-get Sonny Bryan's or some restaurant to throw in some refreshments and food for the next Boulevard party. How about the Sonny Bryan's Party Animals of the Week. Recognize the group at the next game and give some free advertisements during the game to the sponsor and the group.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 09-21-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby geno » Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:13 pm

The drunken guys in the end zone do us the same good as the idiots who, when we used to play UT Austin, would hold up signs saying, "Our maid's son goes to UT." Real class, huh? And how does being drunk in the end zone add to our reputation, like Virginia, of being a great (?) intellectual academic institution? Please fill me in!
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby MustangSally » Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:01 pm

Hey, maybe it was just a first game event, but the student section was PACKED at least through half time. There were students standing in the aisles just trying to find somewhere to see the game. I was amazed at how many were there, and they were excited before we started getting hammered. I think if we can get at least 75% of them to come back for the UTEP game (which we SHOULD win) then we could show them a decent game. I saw more empty seats up in the boxes at the start of the game than in the student section.
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby KnuckleStang » Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:04 pm

geno, my point was, and I should have been more clear, is that of course it doesn't enhance our reputation as an academic institution--But our academic reputation is not hurt by such behavior. UVA's wasn't hurt by it, because everybody knew it was a good school. While I'm not saying SMU is quite up there with Virginia, it's safe to say SMU is one of the better private schools in the Southwest, and people know that. If anything, it lets people know that SMU students have fun at football games.

Much has been made of SMU's rep as a snob school, and much of it is warranted. UVA has had a similar reputation in the east, but have never had a problem embracing that image, and integrating it into their support for sporting events, in their own way. I'm not saying everybody has to wear a tie and get smoked. And I agree, the "squires" is pretty gay. But our student body is something like 70 percent greek, and if they want to come to the games and act like fools, I say we encourage it somehow (Stallion's Sonny Bryans idea is a good start). I see classless signs held up by students as harmless rivalry, nothing more, and I'd like to see more of it. Anybody who thinks students at "good" colleges don't occasionally say rude things, and get rowdy and out of hand at football games needs to go see more games.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby i10pony » Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:09 pm

SMU is more like 30-40% Greek. That is still pretty high.
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:21 pm

This is one stupid post.

Who cares? It's not like we're on TV more than once a year anyway.

And at least they dress up.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Dubbya » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:28 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KnuckleStang:
<B>All good points...I do agree it would be nice if they were not so obviously hammered.... </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So let me get this straight - the Boulevard was being patrolled for underage drinking, yet these guys were allowed to stagger in to the stadium and represent the university? Hey, I like a good drink or 15, but how about a little consistency here? Either allow drinking or don't.

And since it's a university and we're talking about a football game, ALLOW IT - including on the Boulevard.
Dubbya
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Football