PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Attendance watch

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Attendance watch

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:10 pm

our crowd of 27,106 will go a long ways towards offsetting some of our "under 15k" crowds this year.

some programs who need to worry about reaching the 15k average after Saturday:
Buffalo - 10,107 and Ball St - 10,289

San Jose drew only 10,173 for conference rival Nevada, but their 30k crowd for Grambling may help them average 15k.

Tulsa drew 16,231 to watch their blowout of Ark St. I wouldn't count on Tulsa as an automatic "W" this year...we play them at their place.

The Nevada game is a big one for this program if we are going to compete in the WAC this year.

TCU had a nice crowd of 37,192 for Vandy...giving the Frogs the 5th largest home crowd of all the mid majors this week (behind BYU - 61,446, Louisville - 40,205, Air Force - 38,622 & Fresno - 38,093)
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Attendance watch

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:17 pm

Boy I tell you what-we need to get to 90,000 to average 15,000-how many SMU fans do you think they had last night-at a maximum SMU had 15,000. I'm going to predict right now that if SMU loses to Nevada and has another horrendous start as it appears-then we just might not make it to 90,000-and I'm serious not trying to be bitter-if SMU can't muster 15,000 of their own fans for OSU then I think this is looking pretty bleak.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Sam I Am » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:28 pm

Attendance prospects are indeed bleak for the rest of this year. We will have to use special promotions to get butts in the seats.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby Diehard Pony » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stallion:
<B> Boy I tell you what-we need to get to 90,000 to average 15,000-how many SMU fans do you think they had last night-at a maximum SMU had 15,000. I'm going to predict right now that if SMU loses to Nevada and has another horrendous start as it appears-then we just might not make it to 90,000-and I'm serious not trying to be bitter-if SMU can't muster 15,000 of their own fans for OSU then I think this is looking pretty bleak.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ironically OSU was not a "draw" for some SMU fans. I am fortunate to sit in the club section which is sold out every season. At last night's game a little less than half the seats were empty (at $70 a seat). One of my best friends that has four seats told me he was not going to come and witness a 50 point loss. That same thought process may have affected attendance by SMU fans throughout the stadium.

[This message has been edited by Diehard Pony (edited 09-21-2003).]
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:56 pm

we can usually count on at least 15k for homecoming and with TCU also on the home schedule (good for 20k plus), we'll make it to 90k...but it could get ugly for the UTEP & Boise games. I expect Rice will draw over 10k, so that means UTEP & Boise will need to draw a little better than 7,500 each. I think we might get close to 10k, if the weather cooperates. We need good weather and lots of half price ticket deals!
Charleston Pony

Postby gostangs » Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:47 pm

I know I am in the minority here - but I think we are trading seats early (OSU) for empty seats later because we have all the excitement sucked out of our program by September. WE NEED EASIER OCC GAMES. Keep TCU, but add Baylor, and then find two dog-meat teams nearby (ARK ST. directional, schedule UTEP twice - whatever) so that we can be 2-1 +/- going into conference play. If you look back - that is how TCU did it (and still does it) - it adds momentum both in recruiting and builds OUR fan base. And don't say we won't know when we are good - TCU knows they are good - you know you are good when you pound people.
gostangs

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:55 am

I'm inclined to agree about the easier OOC games.. we can't come close to competing with Big 12 schools yet. I think we need easier OOC games to build confidence in the team before conference play, and then gradually increase the difficulty of the OOC schedule (guessing as best you can 3-5 years ahead of time of course)
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby No Quarter » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:27 am

The hell of it is that whoever scheduled these games thought SMU would be competitive by now - or last year or the year before, etc., etc.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:14 pm

There were MANY seats empty around me in the SOLD out section..there were quite a number of no shows.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby BUS » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:35 pm

Play the OOC games against the level of teams that you want to be like. NOT PUFFS. Get the kids beat up so they know they have work to do.. Growth. Make them tougher
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby gostangs » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:51 pm

I used to believe that - but it does not make them any tougher - but it does make it tougher to get anyone to come to a game after Sept.
gostangs

Postby Fingers » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:32 pm

Attendance at the UTEP game should be OK. That is Family Weekend, so all the parents will help inflate the figure.
Fingers

Postby EastStang » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:43 pm

Also UTEP brings their band and travels well in state (they have quite a few Dallas alums), so that game should be near 15,000. Boise and Rice appear to me to be empty games.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:44 pm

attendance at UTEP won't be anything to write home about. I had a buddy order us 6 tickets and he called to ask "what row on the 50 would you like?" Sounds like maybe 15k to me...if we're lucky and the weather is good and UTEP has some super loyal fans in Dallas come out to see what they hope might be their only win of the year.
Charleston Pony

Return to Football