PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Foot in mouth disease (Game comments)

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Foot in mouth disease (Game comments)

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:04 pm

Wow, I drove up from Austin for that? Image

First, the foot in mouth section: I really thought OSU would try and run the ball. and that we would play our safteys back and force them to run. Boy was I wrong!!!

Okay, here are my observations from the game:

OFFENSE:
- OSU obviously watched what film was available from the Baylor game. They had their corners jam at the line of scrimmage. Knowing our WRs couldn't get off, they blitzed everyone and just killed Bartel. That strategy was evident on the very first play of the game - jam receiver, no spearation, interception on a forced throw under pressure.

- Even better, OSU knew we would try and run right, so they blitzed from the right side of the line. That way they could a) take advantage of Hargis's replacement and b) blitz where we would run, so they would have masses there to stop it anyway.

- I was really dissappointed that Bennett took Bartel out of the game. Yeah, Wallis did some things, blah blah blah, but Bartel needs to go through this and get the experience playing at that speed. Also, after OSU was way up, they stopped blitzing (which is why Wallis had ANY success at all), and Bartel could have used that period to get some useful plays in.

- Hard to evaluate players because we were overmatched so bad. Blized everyone, so hard to evaluate the Oline, RBs or QB. The one thing I could evaluate is our WRs not getting off the line. I DONT CARE IF THEY RUN A 5.6 40, but we have got to get some non-5'10 guys out there running routes so that we don't get shoved around. Line up Kennedy at WR, I don't care what we do. The other thing that helps you avoid a chuck at the line of scrimmage is by sending receivers in motion. I have seen almost none of that in the last two games.

DEFENSE:

- Impossible to evaluate for the most part. Most of the drives were short, just a frustrating night for the guys.

- Last week against Baylor, we blitz all over the place and get sacks. This week, we blitzed once and it was in the middle of the 3rd quarter. What gives?

- Their OLINE dominated. Some of our big guys in the middle had some success. But we were outsized there, and would just dive at their legs to take them out in case it was a run. That doesn't help you rush the passer Image. But our ends got manhandled. I was expecting OSU to run up the middle, but they had a LOT of success running outside, especially at the start of the game, and that REALLY surprised me. The ends couldn't get a pass rush going and couldn't play the run - they were dominated this night.

- Another adjustment that never happened - saftey help on Woods. Jonas was one - on - one the entire night, no deep support from safteys. I don't know why we never made that adjustment. I don't know if we were trying to challenge Jonas or what the deal was. But everyone knew what they were doing, and we still let it happen, again and again. I really don't understand that.

- I guess I just kept expecting us to zone blitz at some point, and it just never happened. That was the big surprise of the night for me.

SPECIAL TEAMS:

- That is the worst punting job I have EVER, EVER seen. I can average 30 yards per punt. I can't punt very far, but I can promise 30 yards and about 5 seconds of hang time every single punt, cause I hit it straight up in the air.

Seriously, that is the worst I have ever seen. I don't know whats up with that. The block on the first punt was Mentzal's fault. Caught the ball, turns it over, thinks to himself about the opening prayer for a couple of seconds(was that not the weirdest prayer you have ever heard?), takes two slow steps forward and suddenly the punt is blocked, surprise surprise Image.

There is absolutely nothing to take out of this game except that Jonas needs saftey help on tall receivers and we need to get different receivers out there ASAP. That is about it, unfortunately. I just hope we can make a decent showing at Nevada...
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Foot in mouth disease (Game comments)

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:24 pm

I agree with just about every thing you said but I'm not sure if we have anybody on the bench at receiver that could do better. Rushbrook does have 3 outstanding TD catches and he's only played the position 3 games. Let's give him sometime but I agree they are getting manhandled by the DBs. I really think the first interception was the perfect example and the ball was simply taken away from Rushbrook-that wouldn't have happened with a bigger stronger WR. We REALLY, REALLY need to hit the recruiting trail and sign at least 3 top wideouts. Also watch the replay of Woods TDs tonite if they are shown on the news-it wasn't just Jonas getting beat-at least he was in position and was just beatebn by a bigger stronger All-American. Woods I believe beat at least 4 SMU DBs. In particular, Rico Harris was in the vicinity of at least 6 and each time he was simply flat-footed watching the lobs. Where was Cary Brabham when we needed him-he didn't always make the play but he made plays sideline-to-sideline at full speed and he arrived with a vengeanance. Add that to the recruiting wish-list a headhunter at safety-hopefully we already have one in Sturdivant but we need several more at both safety spots.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 09-21-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:04 am

I stay away from critcizing individuals but the punting is beyond bad right now. He is taking forever to get the kick off, even before the injury. The tipped and blocked punts were a big factor in the Baylor game, not to mention the short kicks that he did get off. I would put Rushbrook in there he would get the kicks off and probably boom them at least half the time. I'd rather live with some inconsistency than set an NCAA record for blocked punts in a season.
Hoop Fan

Postby SMUHouston » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:38 pm

Hoop fan you may be right for a change at least until Mentzel heals. If timing is the problem, I heard that the back up snapper and punter (Rushbrook? & Simmonds?)were getting it off in like one and a half seconds. If our protection is leaky we better get the fastest guys in there, anything would be better than a punt block or two a game.
SMUHouston
Recruit

Postby Cupcaking » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:01 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JasonB:
<B>

DEFENSE:

- Their OLINE dominated. Some of our big guys in the middle had some success. But we were outsized there, and would just dive at their legs to take them out in case it was a run. That doesn't help you rush the passer Image. But our ends got manhandled. I was expecting OSU to run up the middle, but they had a LOT of success running outside, especially at the start of the game, and that REALLY surprised me. The ends couldn't get a pass rush going and couldn't play the run - they were dominated this night.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For your info Jason B they didnt have as much success running the ball. The hurt to the defense came from the secondary letting the same man catch 7 touchdowns on 3 step drops by the qb. Don Stansbury and Melvin Williams weren't exactly Heisman trophy material that night but who the hell can when the qb already knows who to throw to before the ball snaps. Now its one thing to actually watch football games and know whats going on and just having something to say in order to blend in with alot of "critics". Next time do me and everyone on the hilltop a favor, Watch the game and actually see what the problem is. Dont blame or say "the ends got manhandled tonight" when in all actuality it is not their problem or responsibility to stop a Heisman trophy receiver from setting a ncaa record. Now if Tatum Bell had rushed for 567 yards on let's say 34 carries and "7" touchdowns then you can say the d-line or the "ends" got manhandled. Til then learn a little more about football and then you may speak.
Cupcaking
Scout Team

Postby JasonB » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:37 pm

Nice, thanks for the personal attacks.

For your information, I made a point of watching the defensive line during the game, especially the opening drives for OSU. This was because I wanted to see how the DT's did against OSU's huge interior line. However, I was surprised when, on the first and third drives of the game ( skipping the short drive after the INT), OSU was able to bounce outside on the run. The DEs were pushed outside or inside at will on running plays. On passing plays, even when the QB held the ball too long, they were easily handled by the tackles, and did not have to be doubled.

This was a stark contrast from the Baylor game, where our ends beat the Baylor Oline for speed on the pass, and really held their ground well against the run.

I pointed it out because it really surprised me. Both tackles on the OSU line did an outstanding job. In no way did I indicate that the reason OSU had 7 touchdown passes was due to the DEs. I was just evaluating the positions.

So, yes, I was watching, and yes, I know what I am talking about. Drop the personal attacks and please refrain to worthwhile discussion and commentary.

Thank you.
JasonB

Return to Football