PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

all indications are....

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: all indications are....

Postby MustangSally » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:46 am

From the AP wire:

(Sept 21) Representatives from Conference USA met with Jim Copeland, the Athletic Director of Southern Methodist University this Sunday to discuss future membership options. "Basically, our band kicks [deleted], and C-USA sees that value in that," says Jim Copeland, SMU's AD. Conference USA has been lacking halftime entertainment since it was formed in the mid-90's. Britton Branowsky, C-USA's commissioner was quoted as saying, the following: "Did you see what I saw on Saturday night? That band did all the talking with it's onfield performance and laid it all on the line. We need more attitude like that in C-USA! I mean, those soloists on that last chart, uh, Opus One, yeah, those soloists were bringing the house down! SMU is obviously a school where talent runs deep, and they are in a market that we could really benefit from. In other words, this band will be the shining star of Conference USA." Branowsky went on to mention that the TCU band is "permanently banned" from all future football games due to lack of variety and entertainment value.
ABC officials met with the SMU staff on Monday to look into possible inclusion of the Mustang Band in the Bowl Championship Series. Director Dave Kehler said, "They said they needed a true national champion, and that's why they came to us." The band will play a halftime show in the national championship game between SMU and Ohio State. The crowd response will be measured by a sophisticated computer poll system to determine that the Ohio State Band truly is dull. For more information, donate money to the Diamond M Club.
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Re: all indications are....

Postby Sam I Am » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:57 am

The U. of Houston does not want Rice in the same conference with it again. The redundancy
of C-USA coverage in the same city does not promote the league. The Dallas market always looks good to advertisers even if SMU does not put butts in the seats like we should. The fact that SMU won the WAC Commissioners cup is the best testimony about our school's athletic progam. I only hope that AtillaTheCoog is right about his predictions.
This would be the first good thing to happen to SMU since the breakup of the SWC.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football