PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

It is obvious

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

It is obvious

Postby OldPony » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:33 pm

that we are going backward in football. This team is the least competitive one since Rossley took over. I don't really understand why. Is Bennett simply trying to build for 2 years from now and casting the record to the wind in the meantime? If so, I'm afraid that might backfire on him this year in recruiting.
Many of you got excited about our defense against BU. It was BU's offense that made it look decent. As soon as we play a good school, it becomes apparent that we can't stop anyone who can throw at all. Even our running game is disappearing. Yes- It will look better against WAC opponents but we were able to run against decent opponents only last year.
I hope all of our freshmen were redshirted. The problems right now seem to be bigger than just being less talented. OSU isn't a great team. They are very good. Nebraska has a great D but it totally shut them down. Bennett seems unwilling to make changes in game plans even when it becomes obvious that the original doesn't work. The slide to oblivion continues. You see many teams who are outmanned each year put up a good fight- at least for a half. We don't anymore. This is really worriesome and I see no answers coming.
OldPony
Heisman

Re: It is obvious

Postby Damon'sDaMan » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:40 pm

No, OSU isn't a great team, but they are a very good team, with at least one great player. They are way out in front of us right now, and it showed. But believe it or not, I left Ford Stadium feeling OK, considering the score. I haven't seen a group of freshmen at SMU with the potential of Richuel Massey, Brandon Bonds, Blake Warren, Desmond Jones, etc., since the mid-1980s.
Damon'sDaMan
Junior Varsity

Postby MizterTea » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:53 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Damon'sDaMan:
<B>No, OSU isn't a great team, but they are a very good team, with at least one great player. They are way out in front of us right now, and it showed. But believe it or not, I left Ford Stadium feeling OK, considering the score. I haven't seen a group of freshmen at SMU with the potential of Richuel Massey, Brandon Bonds, Blake Warren, Desmond Jones, etc., since the mid-1980s.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

for those suckas who missed the game - Turner was interviewed and said specifically that the school has given Bennett a wide berth to red-shirt and recruit for a few years (i.e. W/L's not counted as much)

- I make no assessment if that was quality info... or silly jibba jabba

------------------
"I can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty."
- George Burns
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:56 pm

BOGUS report. We may very well be worse as is than Rossley's team, but that is because of the extreme youth of this team and their corresponding performance, NOT because of talent.

Remember, this team has been on probation and limited to 21 scholarships in 99,00, and 01...(I believe that was the case). Actually, they had 4 fewer to give...so in those three years, they gave fewer than the max allotment, which are SRs and JRs today...

So there are fewer upper class players due to this, and due to CAVAN not redshirting players.

I do not have the exact stats, but I am sure that STALLION would corroberate much of what I am supposing.

So, in performance on the field, are we worse that Rossley? Well, yes, worse than his SENIOR laden teams that went 5-6 and Cavan went 6-5 with.

As for talent, we are miles ahead.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:44 pm

Rossley had senior laden teams 2 years in a row?
I recognize that we are young. I hope we don't waste any freshemen with talent this year becuase this team is going nowhere. I thought we only lost 4 sachollies total for the recruiting violations though. Maybe someone in the know can help?
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:03 pm

Old Pony: from where I sit, Bennett and his staff appear determined to run their systems regardless of whether it fits our talent. Jonas is a talented player for us, but he's no Terrence Newman and shouldn't have been matched up man on Woods all night. It is frustrating to not see gameday strategy and adjustments to keep games more competitive, but I have to assume he's sticking with his approach for "educational" purposes. I'm certainly not close enough to the program to know, but I assume he's forsaking the present for the future...just hope our guys aren't being demoralized in the process.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PK » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:15 pm

First of all Jonas admitted that he let it get a little personal and made some blunders in the process. According to one of the reports, Woods was double teamed on 9 of his 13 receptions. In fact I remember one time when Woods was like a piece of meat in a sandwich and he still came down with the reception. I thought Jonas for the most part did a pretty good job of sticking to Woods like glue, but got pushed off at the last second allowing Woods to make the catch. I for one think that if you're going to get called for interference...make damn sure the guy doesn't make the catch. 15 yards is better than a TD.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:48 pm

I hope Hayden Fry gets a hold of Bennett, and doesn't let go when he comes here to be honored. Fry was a master of gameday strategy, and led us to 2 wins in 1962 when we were supposed to be 0-10.

Held #1 UT scoreless in the first half, and most losses were by a TD or less. Does anyone on here remember the old "field mice" strategy for the defensive linemen, and why it was used.

Hayden was always coming up with gimmicks for offense too that worked more often than not, and kept us in games with the big dogs.

I think my junior high team had more plays than our offense, and our defensive secondary wouldn't hit a poodle real hard while defending a pass. Last time I heard about NCAA rules, a 15 yard pass interference call is a lot better than the receiver catching a 40 yard bomb. After that the receiver is waiting on the hit instead of concentrating on catching the ball.

I think this coaching staff is TOO used to working with superior talent to know how to use its imagination to win with the talent it now has. Just ask Hayden.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football