PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

You Make the Call

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

You Make the Call

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:47 pm

Would you have thrown a short sideline pass on the first play of the game (against OSU) on your own 20?

I know there's been discussion on this board about 'mixing it up' and 'getting creative'. But I don't think this is what everyone had in mind, since it lead to OSU's first TD.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: You Make the Call

Postby ponyte » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:58 pm

The pass was acceptable. The execution of the play was not.

We a re a run dominated offense. We do not often pass early in a game on first down. So this would be a different look for us. The defense was set up to prevent the run. The coverage was 3, which is susceptible to a quick slant in.

I do not think the play was an improperly called play or that the field position was improper. I feel the execution was the issue, not the play calling.
ponyte

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:54 pm

Was is pass interference...I never got a second look.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby JustAFriend » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:34 pm

It was fine, its called catching the ball which has not been a strong point of this team. If the ball hits you like that one did, it should be caught...
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby HorsePower » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:43 pm

I saw the tape delay re-broadcast of the game last night (way too late, but I was up) and that pass was poorly thrown. Had it been out on the sideline, Rushbrook probably would have caught it, or at least it would have sailed out of bounds. But the pass was thrown over Rushbrook's inside shoulder, allowing Williams to step in front and snatch it. Bartel has more than suffucient arm strength, and is capable of making much better passes than that.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:49 pm

JAF- you might be right but you are not exactly unbiased. Has Bartel ever made a mistake in your book or is he the perfect qb? I agree with the other people who have said you are starting to embarrass your friend now. Do you think your friend appreciates you criticizing his teammates online? Man, I hope not, or Bartel is not the guy I think he is. Do him a favor and cut it out.
Hoop Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:38 pm

the call was good, since OSU and all our opponents expect us to come out and run KK off rt tackle. the throw wasn't great, but it was catchable. the reciever might have heard footsteps, but it was a very fortunate interception for OSU and set the tone for the night.

I was actually very pleased with the opening kickoff and the fact OSU didn't score on their 1st possession, but this SMU team was overmatched physically and that interception was devastating to a team that has a very fragile psyche (as anyone would knowing you are lining up against bigger, stronger, more experienced guys).

Let's get on with WAC play. We really need a strong outing against Nevada. Hopefully Bennett can sell this squad on the fact they are now ready to compete. A couple more games against teams of Baylor's caliber would have helped prepare our guys, but that gets back to the whole $ and attendance issue.
Charleston Pony

Postby JustAFriend » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:41 pm

You are right, I am not totally unbiased, but I am a former receiver, and I have a hard time watching these kids getting scholarships to do one thing, catch the ball, and not doing it. It has nothing to do with who throws it. Dont get me wrong I think Rush is a good player, but he needs to make those catches. And no pal, I dont think Richard is the perfect QB and I have admitted he makes some mistakes, maybe you should read old, old posts, but I highly doubt I am embarrassing him. If I was he would let me know. Besides at least there are some on thi board who support him, unlike the completely inept coaching staff. Last year it was declared that there was QB competition and Tate still got over 6 games before Richard took a snap. Now this year when you have had a declared starter since the spring, he gets two games and a quarter? Explain that to me. There was another post about Bennett running his little system despite whether it suites his players' abilities. This is a perfect example...don't give me this BS about since our O Line isnt doing well we need a mobile QB, thats horsecrap, you need to make the O line protect better, because even with his elusiveness Tate cant be successful in that position either. SO anyways pal, I'll cut out what I want and if you don't like my posts, dont read them... But SMU is pushing away the best QB they have seen in a long time...
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Return to Football