PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

More redshirts coming off?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

More redshirts coming off?

Postby PonyPride » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:40 pm

Coach Bennett said at his media lunch today that he's considering removing the redshirts from more true freshmen. He's considering "about four" freshmen on defense, although he said that until he makes his decision, he didn't want to identify who they are.

When discussing his quarterbacks, he said that Richard Bartel and Tate Wallis both likely will play this weekend, although he said he's not sure he has a quarterback who can "play the full game and take us where we want to be." At that point, he said he's considering taking the redshirt off Chris Phillips, who has an extremely strong arm and the best mobility of all of the quarterbacks on the team.

Bennett clarified his statement:
1. He said Phillips is a bit ahead of Ricky Joe Meeks in his development, but that the coaches remain very enthusiastic about Meeks.
2. He cautioned that if Phillips does play, the coaches will have to simplify the package of plays and formations for him - which is something he said the coaches might need to do, anyway.
3. He said the decision to play Phillips is by no means a done deal. He said that he'd like Bartel and/or Wallis to do the job, but that all decisions will be based on practice.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/

threads.com/ponyfans_staff
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: More redshirts coming off?

Postby OldPony » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:46 pm

At the risk of being redundant, QB ain't the problem. I hope that Bennett will redshirt everyone he can this year. It will be a horrible season but at least we'll be able to keep 4 more years of eligibility for our best athletes. Strong weight rooms etc and we could see some improvemnt starting next year. This team isn't going anywhere so why mortgage any future?
OldPony
Heisman

Postby HorsePower » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:48 pm

Phillips might have huge potential and great athletic ability, but I think it's too early to give up on Bartel and Wallis. Bartel spent his time on the field looking up from the turf, and Wallis gave the team a bit of a boost by adding his running ability to the offense. I'm in favor of saving as many redshirts as possible. And if the rumors are true, Phillips might be too talented to play only half a season. Give him a full year to learn the offense, then throw him in the mix next year.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:55 pm

You guys make valid points about this year, but playing Phillips would not mean you are giving up on Bartel, it would mean that you have given up on the Oline for this year. Big distinction. We cannot continue to have hurries and sacks, so SMU must find a guy who can scramble and throw on the run. That is if we want to be competitive this year, I understand some people are more patient than others. With Phillips, it might just be a case of getting the future started now. It all depends on how mature the kid is.

[This message has been edited by Hoop Fan (edited 09-22-2003).]
Hoop Fan

Postby woodsnwater » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:57 pm

it does not matter who is at quarterback as long as the offensive line continues to block poorly
woodsnwater
Recruit

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:57 pm

I call Avery Cleveland, Cory Muse, Sturdivant and Fred Turner for the 4 Defensive players.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 09-22-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ponyboy » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:00 pm

After being very wary of pulling these redshirts at first, I'm starting to really like the idea. You send a great message to future recruits, i.e. we don't have the talent right now. Come here and you'll play immediately. I think it boosts recruiting in a big way.
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Postby Diehard Pony » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:24 pm

I am also a supporter of this move, and hope that Phillips is among the four. As I have stated in several of my previous posts, it is clear that the O-line and receivers are going to be a weakness this entire year. With that being the case Bartel, with his limited mobility, is likely to see very little success except possibly against the very worst teams we face.

Of the active QB's, that would leave us with Wallis as the quarterback most likely to succeed as he pretty much demonstrated Saturday night. The problem here is that Wallis is not likely the QB of the future.

Phillips defintely qualifies as a QB of the future, and by his playing now we could POTENTIALLY win some games this year, and accelerate his progress and the team's (in terms of W's and L's).

I also like the logic that Bennett can tell potential recruits that if they are sufficiently talented and mature, they will start if we do not have a better answer at that position.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby PonyFan » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:28 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stallion:
<B> I call Avery Cleveland, Cory Muse, Sturdivant and Fred Turner for the 4 Defensive players.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 09-22-2003).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would agree, with the possible exception of Lucky DeLay instead of Sturdivant. We desperately need to boost the pass rush, and Sturdivant is smaller than we thought.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:48 pm

Although, why waste a year on an inevitably 3-4 win season?
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:53 pm

QB may not be our problem and I dont think anyone is giving up on Bartel, but we have serious holes in the OLine. A mobile QB gives us a much better chance to win and Chris Phillips is da man!!!

We almost have as big of a problem in the secondary as the OLine, therefore I believe Sturdivant will be one of the four.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:02 pm

I love cleveland and Muse as players, but are the problems really with the LB core?

Also, I don't think McGee has his redshirt officially off, so he could qualify as a possibility as well.

If Godfrey is out for the year, that could open the door for Sturdivant. I think he would play a lot on special teams right away.

The decision to take off some redshirts on defense may be to improve the speed and athletes in the special team punt and kickoff coverage.

I hope Delay isn't one of them, I hate to see linemen not redshirted, and we are using enough of them as is...

McGee, Sturdivant, Turner, Muse. That adds to Massey, Pellerin, Jaymond Cleveland, Turner, Bonds, Jones.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:10 pm

the comment that "it will be decided based on practice" tells me coach is dangling the proverbial carrot. If anyone clearly shows they can help us improve (and they bust their rears in practice as proof), they get immediate playing time.

I agree with the Lucky DeLay comment. If he's a bigger DE and can help the pass rush, do it. As for the LBs Cleveland and Muse, they might help on special teams as well. Should be interesting. If Turner is in the mix, how might he be used...as a corner or on offense as another wideout?
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUguy » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:14 pm

Sturdivant has good size - he's a legit 6'1" or 6'2". He's a little thinner than you'd like in a safety, but he's faster than you think and he's a vicious hitter. He can help the team. Now.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:16 pm

And with all due respect to our current LBs, Cleveland and Muse would increase team speed significantly.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Next

Return to Football