PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Our we settling for mediocrity?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Our we settling for mediocrity?

Postby methodistmustang » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:53 pm

Me included, I think everyone at SMU would be happy to be a premier WAC team every year. It seems like we may be settling to never be a great program again. Our highest aspiration is to go into the C-USA. Should we dream bigger or are we doomed to have a mediocre football team? As much as I hate the way the Ticket disrespects our football team and our school Greg Williams said we were "settling for mediocrity" after an SMU fan said we could maybe be as good as Hawaii in a couple of years. I agree. Is that what we want??? To be another Hawaii???? Hawaii is a great non-BCS team. I always thought SMU fans wanted to be as good as we used to be. I know you have to take steps to get to BCS quality but are we setting ourself up to be an ok C-USA/WAC team?
SMU-THE University of Texas
methodistmustang
Scout Team

Re: Our we settling for mediocrity?

Postby methodistmustang » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:54 pm

that should be "are" in the title
SMU-THE University of Texas
methodistmustang
Scout Team

Postby PonyPower » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:47 am

Your first two mistakes are listening to The Ticket (other than during SMU road games) and putting any stock in what Williams says. He is the single biggest idiot in sports radio. If he knew half as much as he thinks he does, he'd be on SportsCenter. Take what he says and ignore it -- then change the station.
PonyPower
All-American

Postby Sam I Am » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:42 am

Even if SMU rebuilt as well as TCU has done, the BCS will not let us in unless we sue them. The future is grim even if we win, but winning would make things better that is for sure.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby PonySnob » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:00 am

For the most part, SMU fans seem willing to accept a dismal football and basketball program. Personally, I can't stand that but whenever one criticizes our lack of progress, it falls on deaf ears.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PK » Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:26 pm

PonySnob, you are great on [deleted] about our sad state of affairs, but I'll be damned if I can ever remember you actually proposing a solution...any solution much less one that is reality based. Please honor us with the details of your plan of action for turning this program around in less than 3 or 4 years. Thanks.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby StangEsq » Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:40 pm

Yeah, I want to spend the rest of my life rooting for a 7-5 team that has no shot at ever being in the top 10...

Anyone who would be happy as a contender in the WAC is accepting mediocrity. It's sad that we're trying to compete with schools like Louisiana Tech and Nevada and Boise State. Those are subpar programs and they always will be. In order for us to develop real rivalries, to have any shot at beating top 25 teams or (God forbid) be a perennial top 25 team, we need to improve our program and get out of the WAC ASAP.

Sports is about competing for championships. Who wants to watch a football team that just wants to be average? Greg Williams is absolutely right. 10 years ago we laughed at the schools in our conference. Now we're one of them, and they're laughing at us.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby woodsnwater » Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:45 pm

I don't believe we were laughing at anyone in 1993?
woodsnwater
Recruit

Return to Football