PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Freshman QB starting at Florida...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Freshman QB starting at Florida...

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:53 am

Chris Leak named starter. It happens. If Phillips or Meeks can avoid the rush and throw on the run, we have to consider it.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Freshman QB starting at Florida...

Postby Roach » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:01 pm

Leak also was considered quite possibly the most talented HS football player in America last year.
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:08 pm

Yea but the WAC ain't the SEC, and Phillips was legitimately recruited by Arkansas and several Big 12 schools.

[This message has been edited by Hoop Fan (edited 09-23-2003).]
Hoop Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:32 pm

Exactly, HF. AT 6'3", 220, a 4.6 40, Phillips may be our Leak. The right QB for the current situation. The fact that Bennett is even considering this moves says a lot about Phillips.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby gostangs » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:09 pm

The last time SMU really was fun to watch was when we had Flannigan - who had that sprint-out speed. Phillips would give us that again - which spreads out and tires out the defenses - especially in the WAC -although i hate to waste a RS year on him this year.
gostangs

Postby JustAFriend » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:41 pm

Good idea, keep starting QB's with no experience, besides Phillips ain't anywhere close to Leak. Come on people lets fix the problem, the O Line and offensive coordinator...
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby mustangsnake » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:48 pm

"Come on people lets fix the problem, the O Line and offensive coordinator..."

...and alligator arm receivers.

Go Buster.
mustangsnake
Recruit

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:51 pm

once again, you are making your buddy look bad. Now you are placing the blame on his OC. I bet he appreciates that. Sorry JAF, but you can't fix an Oline overnight. But there is nothing wrong with considering a more mobile qb. I know you have SMU's best interest at heart and all. See ya Froggie.
Hoop Fan

Postby JustAFriend » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:58 pm

Are you kidding me? Everyone on this board knows exactly what Edmonson will call and when. Gimme a break man, surely even you can admit that the offense is handled very poorly by the coaching staff. And what I say has no bearing on what Richard feels, I am free to state my opinion, and I can promise you, as I have said before, that he will let me know if it bothers him. As for making him look bad, that one falls on the coaches for pulling him on TV in the third game of the year when they didnt give him a chance to be successful. And yes I am a froggy, good one by the way, but I would love to see SMU crawl out of the gutter, and it simply blows my mind that you all are going to waste a QB that could help you get there. Please come back with more TCU insults, those never get old...
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby woodsnwater » Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:42 pm

it will be hard for anyone to be successful behind that o-line

Phillips has nowhere near the speed of Leak or Ramon, redshirt and save for better years, not a 3 win season with no blocking
woodsnwater
Recruit

Postby Mike Damone » Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:52 pm

JAF-
I'm sure Richard loves the fact that his homeboy gets on here and trashes the coaching staff on a regular basis. If you don't watch out people may start to think that you are sharing the views of your buddy since you are so close.

Quit being such a chump. We all know that you where his leading receiver in high school and are a track and field stud at TCU, but when it comes to decisions made about who plays and who sits, I'll trust Bennett over you.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:55 pm

playcalling is the not the issue. I would have liked to see some misdirection and a timely reverse in the Baylor game, but playcalling had no bearing whatsoever on OSU game. I don't think Bennett pulled Bartel due to performance, he probably pulled him to protect his confidence and his health. I say probably, because none of us know the real reason, not even Bartel himself. Players don't always understand what is best for themselves or the team. And if Richard confides in you, thats great, why spew it on a message board anyway? As you can tell, none of us around here are blaming Bartel for our problems.
Hoop Fan

Postby JustAFriend » Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:12 pm

Like I already said what I say does not reflect what Richard says or feels. What kind of friend would put him in a bad situation like that? As for the play calling, it is an issue, and has been even when Tate started the first half of last season. My issues with the coaching staff have very little to do with the treatment of Richard. I happen to have a passion for football, and the inner workings of it, so regardless of whether or not ya'll think I know anything about it really doesnt mean I dont. I think this team is very poorly coached, and has been. Now I understand that any coach who comes in here is fighting a huge uphill battle, but this staff is not doing anything to try and win now. In this conference, a good coach could take SMU to 6-7 wins. I know I rub alot of people the wrong way on this board, and thats not my intent, but I am not one to sit and watch the coaches approach to this process and say, I trust him, he knows what he is doing. He doesnt. Example: Bennett on the pregame show, "Richard is still young, and he's going to get better, in fact I think he'll be better tonight." Then after not giving him ato show that, he pulls him after the 1st quarter...???
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby Mike Damone » Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:27 pm

"What kind of friend would put him in a bad situation like that?"

What is that, a rhetorical question?

You act like a mom who can't understand why her son got benched.

I don't know why Bennett benched Richard. When you're down that badly and the offense couldn't even get a first down, maybe he thought any change couldn't hurt. maybe he felt sorry for Richard and pulled him before he got completely demoralized. maybe he was pissed at Tate and felt he deserved to get his butt whipped for a while out there.

This team is bad right now and Bennett doesn't owe anything to anybody, much less playing time.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby JustAFriend » Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:33 pm

"What kind of friend would put him in a bad situation like that?"

By that question I was saying, why would I post anything he has said to me on this board. It has nothing to do with playing time. I have already said my problems with the coaches have much more to do with philosophy than anything to do with Richard. And yes it was a rhetorical question, is that a foreign concept to you?
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Football