PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

John Hampton, David Page, and Billy Ford.....

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

John Hampton, David Page, and Billy Ford.....

Postby Joe » Mon Oct 16, 2000 9:24 pm

First let me start with John Hamton.

Was any body else thrilled with how well he played against Hawaii last Saturday? I thought he played very, very well. He made one hell of a catch at about the 12 yard line and took it to about the 2. The guy is a stud. I think we need to put it in his hands much more often. I am a big fan of using the tight end in any offense, and when we have one with the talent and heart of John Hampton, we need to use his as much as possible.

David Page I thought player really well. He started of a little shaky, as would be expected. It was his first Division -1 start. Once he found his groove, he really started to play well. He scrambled well, and put a lot of zip on the ball. He had several drops, or his numbers would have been even better. Towards the end of the game, he started throwing the ball downfield with confidence. I think his stats were 15-24 for 130 yards. That is not bad for a first start. He did not do anything incredible, but he did not hurt us either. No pics, no fumbles....I think he will get the start next week.

Billy Ford's move to WR is a great idea, in my opinion. I think he will make one hell of a wr. He brings some size and strength to the position. He looked good in the Hawaii game, and I am sure he will continue to improve as time goes on.

Lastly, I think our offense would be a lot better if we did the following. Most of these ideas have been suggested in previous posts, so I might just be summarizing.

1) Put Johnnie Freeman at TB and move Kris Briggs to RB. In the PonyFans.com post game wrap-up for Tulane, Cavan was quoted as saying:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>“Johnnie is one of the guys making plays, We’ve got to come up with more ways to get him the ball.”<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why the hell are we not doing it? Let the boy run!!!!!!!

2. Quit giving Comet the ball on these little screen plays. We are not blocking them right and we are going to get him killed. He is one of the best players we have, so we need to use him more, and target his abilities. SEND HIM DEEP. LET HIM PLAY.

3. Use John Hampton more. He was effective against Hawaii. The kid can play.

4. Keep Billy Ford at WR. I think that is a good fit for him.
Joe

Re: John Hampton, David Page, and Billy Ford.....

Postby ClassOf81 » Mon Oct 16, 2000 10:31 pm

The Freeman thing is my main complaint with Cavan this year. He said they were going to move Freeman back and forth between RB and WR - has he seen the backfield since the Tulane game? Has he gotten five touches in a game since, including kick returns? We need to do everything we can, even if it means making him an up-back and snapping the ball directly into his hands.

You're right on with the Comet thing. Cunningham is one of our truly talented players, but he's been handcuffed on those wide receiver screens because our shaky blocking puts Comet's life in danger. McCown, and it appears Page, have strong arms -- hit Comet with 15-yarders and see if he can break something with his open-field running ability.

Billy Ford looked great at WR. Leave him there.

Put McDearman into Cardwell's place in the rotation. How did McDearman get so far into the doghouse? From what I see at practice, there's nobody who works harder or has a better attitude, and the guy catches everything thrown anywhere near him.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby Hotel California » Mon Oct 16, 2000 10:33 pm

Good point on McDearman. That guy has tremendous heart, and the best hands on the team.
Hotel California
Recruit

Postby ponytalk » Mon Oct 16, 2000 10:47 pm

This pisses me off about Comet. I feel sorry for him, and he has to be getting frustrated. He gives it 110%, but his talent is not catching screens behind the line of scrimmage. He needs to be going DEEP! He was SO successful last year, and now Kueck is suppressing his talents. What is going through these coaches minds?

Put J. Free at TB. Come on coaches, wake up.
ponytalk
Varsity

Return to Football