PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Blackistone on SMU and C-USA

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Blackistone on SMU and C-USA

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:46 pm

<A HREF="http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/sports/columnists/kblackistone/stories/092403dnspoblackistone.3ed56.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/sports/columnists/kblackistone/stories/092403dnspoblackistone.3ed56.html</A>
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Blackistone on SMU and C-USA

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:51 pm

If the DMN has two articles on this its pretty much a done deal.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Houston Pony » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:25 am

Good articles.
But Blackistone's dig at Moody kind of hurts. Call me old-fashioned, but I love that old place.
Houston Pony
Junior Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:08 am

Moody is disgusting.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby ClassOf81 » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:18 am

Moody is great! I love the place, and always will. I'm not opposed to a facelift, but a complete replacement would break my heart.
Then again, I think we're years away from tackling that project.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:57 am

Don't be so quick to say it will not be addressed for years. Price of admission to Conf. USA maybe a renovated Moody, plus extra practice courts for Men and Women BB and Intramurals.

May need to relocate Tennis complex to do it. And, most importantly, my personal favorite, a new long course, indoor competitive pool. The new recreation center to be built should have accommodated that in the first place. If we are big time, we need these two key investments.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby PK » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:12 am

Blackistone's article was in some respects hard to read and I didn't agree with everything he said, but he is on target regarding our alums needing to pony up and support this program both financially and with their participations. I'm not sure they have it in them any more. I hope I'm wrong, but the Administration definitely needs to do all it can to try and get our alums back on board.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby i10pony » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:49 pm

Moody is awesome!!! The place is old-school its set up like Cameron Indoor Stadium, and Gallagher-Iba. And when I was at the Tech game two years ago standing in the student section it was the closest I ever felt to being at a big time college basketball game. Moody was packed not a single sit in the house was available.It was a good game too. But the Musatngs lost by three. Just make the locker rooms and concessions nice and you'll have one hell of a place to play college bball. BUt only if Dement can make this team rise from mediocrity.I seriously doubt it though stranger things have happened in the world of college basketball.
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Postby Diehard Pony » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:02 pm

I've been a basketball season ticket holder for decades (as well as football)and I still love Moody. With that said, it is in desperate need of a facelift. I know that the plans for such were completed a couple of years ago to include removing all the offices resulting in large, open corridors, suites, scoreboard replacement to include diamond vision, etc. My assumption for the delay has been that certain other academic related captital expenditures have to be completed first. I know that was the case with Ford even though all the money came from about a half dozen individuals.

With a facelift, Moody would be first rate once again.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby EastStang » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:08 pm

The major need according to the article is a basketball practice facility in addition to Moody. That way the men and women don't have to share the Court or practice time. It also stresses the need for new locker room facilities. We're running out of room for such a facility. But I agree we need to give old Moody a facelift and clean her up a bit. It is a very functional and loud facility which can give the Mustangs a true homecourt advantage(if the fans/students show up).
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Pony4Life » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:37 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LA_Mustang:
<B>If the DMN has two articles on this its pretty much a done deal.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure. We've thought certain things in the past (a.k.a. the invitation to C-USA that TCU got and we didn't) were a done deal, and we were left holding the bag. I sure hope you're right, that it's a done deal, but I'll believe it when it's official, and not before.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby DiamondM » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:46 pm

It is my understanding that the first step in even being able to renovate Moody is to get the new Dedman built. It will provide a practice facility so that the teams will have a place while Moody is torn up (and afterwards of course). You can't tear up Moody until there's a place for them to go. Last I hear is that groundbreaking for Dedman is scheduled for sometime this spring.

Notice that Blackistone's comments were directed as much at the lack of financial and butts-in-seats support from its alumni as it was at any defeciency in the adminstration or lack of W's. I think he is dead on that alumni need to step up and put their money where their mouth is, and that includes money for Moody renovations.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:27 pm

I'm not necessarily over the edge yet DiamondM, but some fans are tired of investing their time and money with no returns. How can you blame them? I'm a modest supporter and I still spend in the thousands per year on SMU athletics when its all said and done. Don't worry, my wife reminds me often.
Hoop Fan

Return to Football