PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New stories

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New stories

Postby ClassOf81 » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:25 am

For those of you who generally jump straight to the message boards and sidestep the home page, check it out: the Nevada game preview is up in its own page, instead of just as a post, and they have a new story on Ryan Mentzel's hand injury, how it affects his punting, etc. Really good stuff.

I admit, I never thought I ccould find a story about a punter interesting. But it is -- it's great.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Re: New stories

Postby SMUguy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:35 pm

Agreed - good preview, great story on Mentzel.

I'm the first to admit I get bent out of shape when a punt doesn't sail a long way, but I didn't realize how much the little things matter, like the way the guy holds the ball, rotation, etc.

Lot of good insight there. If you haven't read the story, check it out.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:46 pm

I did not see anything about how long till that injury gets better. If not, we must do something in the meantime. I like Bennett's comment that Rushbrook can punt. Perhaps he can fill in and add better coverage. Our net punting is essentially worst in DIA. If we do not fix it we are dead, given our offensive woes.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DallasDiehard » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:51 pm

Rushbrook can punt, but he presents a serious risk. He has some leg strength, but with all his duties at practice (receiver, return man), he doesn't have the time to concentrate on punting. He might hit a good one once in a while -- although not as good as Mentzel can hit -- but he also might shank several.

And what would be said if he were to pull a hamstring punting? Don't laugh - it happens with the way the punters get their leg so high. If we lost the only guy to score a touchdown this year because he pulled something punting, that would be tough to take.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby SMUFan » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:08 pm

The way I read that story, it sounded like there is no real timetable for healing the hand. If he can catch the snap, which he obviously can, he'll play through it. Maybe it will be sore through the season, maybe it won't. As long as he doesn't race downfield to bust the wedge, he'll be fine.

Go Ponies - BEAT NEVADA!
SMUFan
All-American

Postby PonyGirl » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:16 pm

The biggest part of the story to me was how important the field position battle is, while the offense gets on track. Ryan needs to hit some big punts in the thin Reno air.
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby ReedFrawg » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:26 pm

If the injury is affecting his drop then maybe he needs to quit worrying about trying to hit spirals. Seriously, just hit the sweet spot of the ball and aim away from the returner. 95% of the time, if you keep it relatively low, you will get a good forward bounce and the returner won't be able to field the ball. This strategy would all but eliminate the potential for a shanked punt and pretty much guarantee a 35 plus yard net. (Remember how last year Louisville would roll their punter out the right and then kick a low end over end punt that would roll for twenty yards?) If you can't hit consistent spirals because of a screwed up drop, concentrate on squib punts that are kicked away from the returner. This should really increase the net punting average. JMHO.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby Pony4Life » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:32 pm

Great idea, RF!
Someone needs to mention this to Mentzel. Although I have confidence he's going to do much better this week, because the protection should be better (it better be), so he can just relax and kick away.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby DiamondM » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:40 pm

I am no football coach, so take this with a grain of salt. I have to say that I had already mentioned to people around me at both the Tech game and the Baylor game how long it seems to take Mentzel to take his steps and actually kick the ball. Even when the blocking is decent, it appeared (to my somewhat untrained eye) that he was moving slowly between catching the snap and putting foot to ball. This was before the hand injury. It seems to be a matter of timing and technique, which is only exacerbated by the hand injury. Am I crazy on this one, or has anyone else noticed this?
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Under the Lights » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:50 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DiamondM:
<B>I am no football coach, so take this with a grain of salt. I have to say that I had already mentioned to people around me at both the Tech game and the Baylor game how long it seems to take Mentzel to take his steps and actually kick the ball. Even when the blocking is decent, it appeared (to my somewhat untrained eye) that he was moving slowly between catching the snap and putting foot to ball. This was before the hand injury. It seems to be a matter of timing and technique, which is only exacerbated by the hand injury. Am I crazy on this one, or has anyone else noticed this?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The "punt cycle" - from first movement of the punt snap to the actual kick should be no greater than 2 sec. The snap (14yds) is arriving in .68 to .72 sec. - the balance of the 2 secs. is comprised of the kicker's movement and the actual kick. One thing that experienced punters will do is take a "cheat step" toward the arriving snap in order to shorten their portion of the punt cycle.

Hope this helps.
Under the Lights
Scout Team

Postby DiamondM » Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:33 pm

Thanks for the info. Anyone want to bring a stopwatch to the game to see if I'm making this thing up?
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby PK » Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:48 pm

I thought he looked like he was taking too much time too...but maybe he is having to be more deliberate with his actions because of his broken thumb. The article on the home page mentioned that he had to revise the way he handles the ball...hopefully it will become second nature to him and he can do every thing quicker again.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Otto » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PK:
<B>...but maybe he is having to be more deliberate with his actions because of his broken thumb.... </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I expect that is the case. The lack of "feel" for the ball probably affects his confidence with the drop from his hand to his foot, so expect he's being extra careful - perhaps subconsciously.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby Under the Lights » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:22 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DiamondM:
<B>Thanks for the info. Anyone want to bring a stopwatch to the game to see if I'm making this thing up?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

no stopwatch required - one mississippi, two mississippi - ball in the air (if not, look out!!!)
Under the Lights
Scout Team

Return to Football