PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Notre Dame

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Notre Dame

Postby Nacho » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:46 am

This might have some impact on who gets into C-USA. If this happens I think we can forget about the 5 previously mentioned all getting into C-USA:

<A HREF="http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/colleges/6854899.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/colleges/6854899.htm</A>
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Notre Dame

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:26 am

I just don't understand WHY ND would go to the ACC -- check out the geographic difference, not only for their football team, but for their non-rev sports as well.

If they are going to join a conference, they might as well join the Big10, right?
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:36 am

IF ND goes to the ACC, then the Big10 doesn't have to wait around anymore for ND, so they will EITHER grab Pitt/Syracuse from the Big East (thus making it unstable again), or grab MISSOURI.

Domino's...

Regardless of who they grab, and despite what the PAC10 says, there will be pressure to NOT be the 10-team conference, so the PAC10 will grab 2 teams from MWC and/or UH, or perhaps Colorado.

It is possible that the Big12 loses 1 or 2 teams in this domino effect...

Now, who are they going to get?

I seriously doubt they replace CU with CSU, but they MIGHT grab CSU if Missou leaves...

If there are TWO slots available (Missou/CU), then an obvious target is Arkansas, but this would be a diminished Big12, so it is likely that ARK would lose money on that move, despite the fact that their recruiting blood lies in Texas.

Regardless, there may be two slots available, so who would they take?

They COULD take SMU/TCU out of pity and move OU/OSU to the North (akin to an old Big8 turned 6). OU gets their rivalry with Nebraska back. OU/NEB/KS are the dominant teams up north. UT/aTm are dominant in the South with a fiesty TCU/Tech.

Or they could just pick one of SMU/TCU, move OSU to the North and pick up another Northern team (but who? UL?)

I hope they pick SMU, but only for 2 reasons:

1) Then I was right, the Big12 picks SMU
2) Stallion can [deleted] about our mediocrity and Commitment to losing
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:17 am

....put the crack pipe down! Seriously, you need to stay away from your little buddies at the Junior Mustang Club and take a class in College Football 101. There is a ZERO percent chance of SMU getting into the Big 12 or SEC.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:25 am

stallion is right anyways - there's already too many texas teams in the little 12 already - thus one of the more common complaints of the non-texas teams!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Mike Damone » Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:28 pm

Goodness-
The Big XII would try to take Arkansas or LSU, then get shot down. They would then end up setling for BYU or maybe even TCU. They already have a Baylor, you think they want another one by taking us?

[This message has been edited by Mike Damone (edited 09-25-2003).]
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:26 pm

"The Big 12 picks SMU" That may be the most comical thing I have heard in a long time.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby DomerPony » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:19 pm

Of all the major conferences, the SEC and the ACC are the most illfitting for Notre Dame. Geographically and culturally, ACC would be rejected by most ND alums.
DomerPony
Recruit

Postby Nacho » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:23 pm

I have a very hard time seeing ND going to the ACC. Big 10 is much more logical. Why would the ACC wait 10 years for ND? They were in a tremendous hurry last year to get to 11. Makes no sense to wait 10 years to get to 12 for Champ game.
Nacho

Postby ReedFrawg » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:29 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nacho:
<B>I have a very hard time seeing ND going to the ACC. Big 10 is much more logical. Why would the ACC wait 10 years for ND? They were in a tremendous hurry last year to get to 11. Makes no sense to wait 10 years to get to 12 for Champ game. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ND might count toward the 12 team minimum depending on their status as a partial football playing member of the conference. The rule reads somthing like "...must have 12 football playing members...". Whether they could count toward that 12 team minimum (even though they wouldn't be eligible for the championship game) or not would remain to be seen, but I assume the ACC would be addressing that issue before ND was added to the league. Still, ND to the ACC makes zero sense. Big Ten or even the Big East are clearly a better fit.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby The PonyGrad » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:46 pm

The BE is no longer an option for ND. The drop in prestige of the BE may be motivation for ND to look elsewhere for other sports. The loss of the TV deal due to bad on field results and adverse changes in the BCS may easily motivate ND to join a conference to cover lost TV revenue and BCS access.

And I do not see how that affects CUSA.

[This message has been edited by The PonyGrad (edited 09-25-2003).]
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:53 pm

The Big East remains a viaile conference option for Notre Dame because it will allow them to remain a football independent and simply schedule a few games each year in the east, which they already do because it is a catholic laden, fertile recruiting ground for the Irish. Yes, the Big 10 makes the most geographic sense and ND already has a history with Mich, Mich St & Purdue...and the ACC appears on it's way towards being perhaps the stongest combo fball/bball conference in the country...but I wouldn't rule out the Big East just yet.

And those who think any domino effect will land SMU Big XII consideration, keep dreaming. We won't likely EVER be associated with a conference that has "Big" in it's title again.
Charleston Pony

Postby abezontar » Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:01 pm

What if they reform the Big Sky conference, or change the name of the WAC to the Big Waste of Time Conference.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football