PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Salivating over SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Salivating over SMU

Postby Nacho » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:12 pm

Nevada can't wait to play SMU:

<A HREF="http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/html/2003/09/25/52537.php?sp1=rgj&sp2=Sports&sp3=Sports&sp5=RGJ.com&sp6=news&sp7=news_front" TARGET=_blank>http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/html/2003/09/25/52537.php?sp1=rgj&sp2=Sports&sp3=Sports&sp5=RGJ.com&sp6=news&sp7=news_front</A>
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Salivating over SMU

Postby KnuckleStang » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:26 pm

Can't say I really blame them, considering last week's performance. I sure hope they keep the "cakewalk" mindset through Saturday. Can only help us.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Otto » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:41 pm

Think that last comment about how Flowers respects SMU's players, they're D-I athletes like us, etc., was just him being politically correct for the media? Or do you think they expect to go wild in the passing game?
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby The PonyGrad » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:25 pm

Given our last game and our rush defense Nevada must be focusing on our pass defense. Even though Bennett says Jonas should of had help on some of those coverages I only remember one pass where Woods was not covered at all. I do not see our defense getting beaten like that against Nevada. There is no physical mismatch like OSU's Woods. And, we for sure must be working on what was exposed by OSU. I think our defense will do well. I am worried about getting anything going on offense and special teams. That is another reason Nevada is focusing on passing. They are not worried about special teams or defense so what then is their big key? It seems like a no brainer that if they can pass on us they will have no trouble. Same game plan as OSU.

[This message has been edited by The PonyGrad (edited 09-25-2003).]
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby Stallion » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:29 pm

BTW I think I saw that Nevada's 3 year starter and/or letterman who plays the rover position will miss the rest of the year due to an injury.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:42 pm

I think we are going to have alot of trouble simply because Nevada has two or three big receivers. SMU has really struggled against tall wideouts the past several years. And then, theres the altitude. Maybe when it seems everything is stacked against us this team can rise up and play its best game.
Hoop Fan

Postby Stallion » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:49 pm

....didn't their All-American WR Nate Burleson go off on us last year for some ungodly number of yards. Fortunately, he's graduated.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Otto » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:51 pm

Yeah, Burleson had 12 (I think) catches against us last year for 140 or so. Thank god he's gone. But the guys who are still there aren't bad.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby The PonyGrad » Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:59 pm

I think we can handle guys that "aren't bad" unlike a great receiver. The thing is not to get burned. But, Nevada is good at third down conversions and passing in the 10-20 yard range. That will require discipline to defend.

On defense it seems that Nevada has been able to make a lot of sacks, 8 so far. Running the option might be a good asset for this game.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Return to Football