PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

CUSA article

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

CUSA article

Postby Cheesesteak » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:45 pm

I like the proposed West Division including SMU, TCU, Rice, Houston, Tulane and Tulsa.

I also hope Marshall isn't invited.

Article follows:

C-USA covets SMU, Rice, Tulsa, UCF for membership

Sept. 25, 2003
By Tony Mejia
SportsLine.com Staff Writer

The round of conference reshuffling begun by the move of Miami and Virginia Tech from the Big East to the ACC has pitted Conference USA and the Western Athletic Conference against one another in a power struggle for survival, and C-USA has a plan to gain an upper hand.

A source close to the situation, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said inviting Southern Methodist, Rice and Tulsa, along with second-year MAC member Central Florida, seems to be the most viable option to keep C-USA afloat as a 12-team league and stay in the business of big-time college athletics.

UCF and Tulsa have conditionally accepted bids, the source said.

Even divisions have been set. Houston, TCU and Tulane would be joined by WAC newcomers Rice, SMU and Tulsa in the West, while UCF would join in-state rival South Florida, Southern Miss, UAB, Memphis and East Carolina in the East.

Charlotte and Saint Louis would then likely accept invitations from the Atlantic 10.

"We have had numerous healthy discussions over the last 10 days about the future of our conference and have been developing contingency plans," C-USA commissioner Britton Banowsky said in a statement. "There are a wide variety of options that are being discussed and nothing has been decided.

"I am confident, however, that, as these events unfold, we will reach consensus on a plan that positions the conference very well in the future."

Ultimately, the fate of the plan might rest on TCU.

Of the schools in limbo (TCU, Houston, Rice, SMU, TCU and Tulane), the Horned Frogs have the most prosperous athletics program of the bunch, complete with a nationally ranked football team. If TCU heads to the WAC, or even the Mountain West, there might not be enough of a southwestern influence in C-USA to keep Houston and Tulane.

But if TCU stays put, Rice, Tulsa and SMU would likely come aboard.

Said SMU AD Jim Copeland: "What we'd like to do is be in a conference that makes sense geographically, whether that be in a division of the WAC or somewhere else. I believe that's most important for my university, and I'm paid to do the best thing possible for SMU."

What schools like Copeland's decide might ultimately determine the survival of both C-USA and the WAC.

"It's been described as a tug of war, and I think that's fair to say," WAC commissioner Karl Benson said. "Geographically, it just so happens we're after the same schools. The question for us as a league has been, how do we fix our geography? We've looked for schools that can add to our league's prestige and value, specifically TCU, Houston and Tulane."

Another MAC member, Marshall, might also be an active part of the reshuffling. Sources said the school was not given resounding approval by C-USA league presidents in recent meetings, but that could always change once the bullets start flying.

The Huntington, W.Va.-based school could also figure into the WAC's plans, especially if the league is decimated by defections to C-USA; at that point, it would need an eighth member.

"No invitations have been tendered at this point," said Houston AD Dave Maggard. "There are contingency plans in place with the thought of being prepared (for when the Big East makes it's move).

"At one point, everybody anticipated that BC and Syracuse to the ACC was a done deal. Obviously that wasn't the case. You just never know how things are going to shake out. But C-USA will not be caught by surprise when moves are made."

Wednesday's AP report that the Big East has targeted C-USA members Cincinnati, DePaul, Louisville, and Marquette was not news to any of the parties. Re-strengthening its position in basketball, which is how the league gained prominence in the 1980s, was paramount in commissioner Mike Tranghese's mind once Miami and Virginia Tech announced their intentions to leave.

Official invitations aren't expected to come until as late as November, but barring any unforeseen developments, the Big East will add the four institutions, with Cincinnati and Louisville slated to participate in football.

"We met in Chicago a little over a week ago and the presidents and chancellors met this past Sunday to look at some of the areas we may be looking to move into," Maggard said. "I anticipate these meetings will go on with some frequency in the coming weeks."

In a letter obtained by KRIV-TV in Houston, the WAC's Benson urged his conference's teams to actively recruit C-USA's southwestern-most members: Houston, TCU and Tulane.

"The WAC has a golden opportunity to secure its future and the athletic future of each of its members by creating its own 12-team league with two divisions," Benson wrote to league presidents.

"Without stability in the (WAC) West, it may also make it very difficult for Rice, SMU or Tulsa to decline a C-USA invitation if extended."

That "if" appears to be a near-certainty.

"I think it's going to be an interesting couple of months," Copeland said. "I expect that the situation will definitely be resolved by Christmas."
Cheesesteak
All-American

Re: CUSA article

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:51 pm

sorry Cheesesteak, I wasn't stealing your thunder, it just took me a while to get my thoughts on the article posted and you beat me too it.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Cheesesteak » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:18 am

Hoop Fan - I'm happy that you were scanning the internet for SMU related articles.

There can never be too many Mustangs on the trail!
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Cheesesteak » Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:24 am

Are SMU, Tulsa and Rice are working as a team to push for Rice's inclusion into CUSA (with SMU and Tulsa) if CUSA extendeds formal invitations?

If chaos develops every school will only promote itself. But, I like the idea of a small block of schools with the intention of looking out for each other.

Any insights into this rumor?
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby gostangs » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:37 pm

I do not like that idea - although perhpas revisionist history, I have heard SMU pulled TCU into the CUSA discussion and then look what happened - ruthless as it sounds we need to be out for ourselves. If Tulsa and Rice get the nod thats great -linking only weakens our desirablility. We will be lucky to get any interest from CUSA - they are not going to take anyone they wouldn't otherwise want to get us anyway.
gostangs

Postby EastStang » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:17 pm

I think that it hinges on TCU and UH. If TCU and UH really want SMU and Rice, then it will happen. The rest of CUSA wants Tulsa for its basketball and NCAA credits. SMU fits nicely with their strongest football program TCU. Rice has a competitive baseball program and is a cross-town rival of UH. SMU and Rice also have long-term name recognition. The team that is giving CUSA heartburn is Marshall. They want out of the MAC and are trying to lure other schools to join them from CUSA and the MAC. From what I've read, some CUSA schools want nothing to do with Marshall, others really want Marshall. However, TCU, UH and Tulane all have other options, they could join the WAC and be with the schools that they want to be with, trading in essence S. Miss for La. Tech., UAB for UTEP. The northern schools have no such option.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Ponymon » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:29 pm

The one positive of moving to CUSA maybe more competent officiating by the Zebras. Swann appeared to have a heartattack last night over several of the calls. He thought that the personal foul call on Bonds, when he tackled the player "out of bounds" was awful. He also couldn't believe that they didn't call Rushbrook down when he fumbled since his knee was on the ground at the time. Of course, if you have to depend upon official calls to win or lose you might as well give it up. Personally, the referees in the WAC look like they were imported from the old Southwest conference. Most of them don't have a clue!

[This message has been edited by Ponymon (edited 09-28-2003).]
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football