PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I need a drink. Or 12.

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

I need a drink. Or 12.

Postby ClassOf81 » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:09 am

OK, that one hurt. A lot. The guys have to be heartbroken.

Reasons I will be at Ford Stadium next week, from start to finish (and I'll be LOUD):

- For most of the game, we dominated the line of scrimmage. It sounded like the offensive line really dominated.

- The defense is learning how to generate takeaways, to go along with its stiff bend-but-don't-break play. It's one of the key steps in a team "learning how to win."

- Keylon Kincade is a man. Even when everyone in the stadium knew he was getting the ball, he still made positive yards. What did he have, 140? 150? He'll exceed that against UTEP.

- I can't wait to see Joey Sturdivant play. From the sounds of things, he played well in his college debut.

- The kicking game is better. Nice to hear that the punting game was NOT an adventure (nice call with the Mentzel feature, PonyFans.com!)

- I want Brad Bean to hear us cheer for him.

- Allan Adami is a complete stud. He's out there on one knee, and he had his name called all night.

- We re-discovered the tight end as an element for the offense. Let's see a few more balls thrown their way next week.

- Hopefully Massey will be back next week.

Go Mustangs! Beat UTEP!
ClassOf81
Heisman

Re: I need a drink. Or 12.

Postby SMUHouston » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:17 am

- For most of the game, we dominated the line of scrimmage. It sounded like the offensive line really dominated.

From the sound of the announcers, the O-line problems were continuing, with an occasional bright spot. It sounded like Tate was on the run alot.

Man, we should really be 2-2, just one or two plays in both games. This is going to be tough I hope Bennett can rally the troups. We really need UTEP this week.
SMUHouston
Recruit

Postby PonyTales » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:27 am

Call me, ClassOf81 - I've pretty well stocked.
We WILL beat the Miners!
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:37 am

I am so angry. The internet connection in my dorm was about slower than a 14.4 modem for the entire game.. the radio stream was spotty at best. It sure is a heartbreak because I understand just how close we were. Tate's play seemed to be improving until the two INTs. I don't get how he can just get into a groove and then completely destroy our chances of winning. Once again we're killing ourselves on turnovers.. we had zero until Tate threw back to back INTs and then Rushbrook's fumble on the punt return. It's one or two plays like someone on here said. It's devastating.

At least we kept it close with a tough Nevada team. Sounds like their QB was having an off night but I didn't hear the game.. did we get pressure on him? From the box score, it looks like we were hurt by penalties..

I'm a little concerned by the time of possession. 40 mins to Nevada's 19? This ball control offense is fine with me at this point, but we HAVE TO SCORE MORE POINTS controlling the ball for 40 mins. Come on.

I think we'll CRUSH UTEP.. but remember it was a shootout last year. I think our football team is improving.. if we can ever find solid QB play, we can play competitvely against the WAC this year. Just don't hold your breaths.

Also, how did Sturdivant and Muse do?

Go Mustangs!

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 09-28-2003).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby EP Pony Fan » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:10 pm

Everything I hear from all my UTEP friends is that Jordan Palmer is "the real deal" -- which explains why he ended up at UTEP, right? Anyway, I gather he's a big kid who can throw it a mile, but he's still a redshirt freshman who's never started against a D-I team. (His start yesterday against Sam Houston State was the first start of his career.) If the SMU defense is as stingy as it sounds in the articles I've read, they should be able to rattle the kid. Hit him early, hit him hard, and hit him all day long!
EP Pony Fan
Varsity

Return to Football