PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

13 per game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

13 per game

Postby Nacho » Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:56 am

I wasn't at the game and only listened to part of the first half but all of the 2nd half. A few observations.

Sounded like the same old tired offensive philosophy which is really no philosophy at all. Run, run, run and throw only in desperation. Keep it close and lose by a narrowe margin. Make it look good. It worked. It didn't work against TT or OSU. Worked like a charm against Baylor and Nevada. Should also work against UTEP. Congrats to all the coaches for a plan well executed.

I can understand keeping Wallis in the game after the first INT. I cannot understand keeping him in the game after the 2nd INT. The 2 INTs lead to a tie at the monumental score of 9-9. Before the INTs SMU lead 9-0. If Bartel had done that he would have been pulled after the first INT. Clearly a double standard is being used. When we had to pass to put on a game winning drive our best passer was nowhere to be found. For some reason the guy who had thrown 2 INTs was kept in the game. He then threw his 3rd INT to finish off the game. I can only blame the coaches for classic mismanagement.

Yes SMU has a weak O-line and a less than stellar group of WRs (although thEre is individual talent there) so this offense that was on the field last night will never generate more than 10 pts/game. The D is not good enough to win games at that level of offensive production. Bartel must play against WAC competition. He gives us the chance of scoring the unheard of 15 pts/game. We could have won with 13 points last night.

Please take this into consideration coaches. We need 13 pts/game as in Bartel's number. The stats bear me out.

I hope this has been helpful. Have a nice day. I can't wait to see our offensive game plan against UTEP.

I'm not bitter. I'm an SMU fan.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: 13 per game

Postby Ponymon » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:17 pm

I also wonder why no one was critical of Bennett's playcalling. In the first half, there was an opportunity to kick a field goal with a 4th and 4 yards to go. Instead he has Wallace run for it and, of course, he doesn't make it. You should ALWAYS go for the points especially with our LOUSY offense! Yes I know we might have missed the field goal but trying to make 4 yards on 4th down for this team is expecting the impossible. That was 3 "potential" points right there. Then he used that stupid "swinginggate" and goes for 2 instead of kicking the extra point. Yes, I know we had 8 on 6, but it didn't work and put us behind the 8 ball for the rest of the night. Although we got lucky and blocked their extra point, that 1 point might have made a difference psychologically at the end of the game. It might have caused us to be more careful in returning the punt!

[This message has been edited by Ponymon (edited 09-28-2003).]
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Arkpony » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:27 pm

I hate to admit it but I am losing confidence in Bennett as a coach. I love the guy and he can recruit like crazy, but the play calling and decisions are highly suspect. Every Mustang fan last night, IM sure, thought he would/should put in our best passer when we're playing catch up and Willis was throwing INTs. Once again, our offense gives the ball game away after a steller defensive showing. Four games...four touchdowns. Geesh!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby KnuckleStang » Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:20 pm

Going for it on 4th and 4 did raise my eyebrows a bit. Maybe he's not confident with McMurtray? But he'd already nailed one, so that doesn't make sense.

The only thing I didn't like about the "swinging gate" play was that it didn't work. Apparently I'm the lone idiot who liked the call. "Swinging gate" can be a great way to put it in, but only when your QB doesn't trip over his own lineman. Nevada sure didn't expect it, and they wouldn't have made that call had they not seen something. It showed cohones, not stupidity, but that's just my take. In any event, don't worry, I think it's safe to say we won't see that play again this year. Image It was an execution problem, and coaches can't execute.

Isn't the swinging gate also known as the "lonesome polecat?"

[This message has been edited by KnuckleStang (edited 09-28-2003).]

[This message has been edited by KnuckleStang (edited 09-28-2003).]
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Nacho » Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:00 pm

I think the 2 point swinging gate is now an important part of our much used extra point offense. Although we are now 0-2 in the 2 point SG, I think we can see it at least once at the UTEP game, after our TD. It brings not only an element of surprise but, and this is very important, nostalgia. All the old alums love it. I know, I've asked them. To a man everyone over 80 has given me the thumbs up on the SG. I think we'll make one before the season is over but I'm pretty optimistic about SMU football.

[This message has been edited by Nacho (edited 09-28-2003).]
Nacho

Postby sam » Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:24 am

This was a game that the coaches lost-plain and simple-the boys played their hearts out and then have the game mismanaged was bad for the players. This could have been a big win for our program with UTEP the next week we could have been 2-0 in the WAC. Lets review,he plays Wallis the entire game when Bartel was supposed to come in on the 3rd possession,he goes for 4th and 4 from the 27 when I don't think we have made anything more than 4th and 1 all year and the kicker is 2 for 3 on the year. Runs on 1st and 2nd downs passes on third downs,calls that stupid swinging gate that was hugh and I saw KK motion to come out in the 4th Qtr because he was exhausted and he was told to stay in.Now with Wallis not able to play the next game what has the lack of confidence that the coaches have shown in Bartel going to do to him.

[This message has been edited by sam (edited 09-29-2003).]
sam
Junior Varsity

Postby sam » Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:25 am

This was a game that the coaches lost-plain and simple-the boys played their hearts out and then have the game mismanaged was bad for the players. This could have been a big win for our program with UTEP the next week we could have been 2-0 in the WAC. Lets review,he plays Wallis the entire game when Bartel was supposed to come in on the 3rd possession,he goes for 4th and 4 from the 27 when I don't think we have made anything more than 4th and 1 all year and the kicker is 2 for 3 on the year. Runs on 1st and 2nd downs passes on third downs,calls that stupid swinging gate that was hugh and I saw KK motion to come out in the 4th Qtr because he was exhausted and he was told to stay in.Now with Wallis not able to play the next game what has the lack of confidence that the coaches have shown in Bartel going to do to him.

[This message has been edited by sam (edited 09-29-2003).]
sam
Junior Varsity

Postby mustangsnake » Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:09 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sam:
"Now with Wallis not able to play the next game..." -
Why is this? Was he injured?

[This message has been edited by mustangsnake (edited 09-29-2003).]
mustangsnake
Recruit

Postby sam » Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:14 pm

I thought he was ejected on the last play
sam
Junior Varsity

Postby mustangsnake » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:37 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sam:
<B>I thought he was ejected on the last play</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For what...fighting I'd assume. Can anyone confirm? What are the consequences?
mustangsnake
Recruit

Postby JustAFriend » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:52 pm

He was ejected at the end...dont know the consequences
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby abezontar » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:59 pm

that's funny, I haven't seen anything about it in the papers. You would think that if he was ejected it would be a pretty big deal. Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention to what I read.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangsnake » Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JustAFriend:
<B>He was ejected at the end...dont know the consequences</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just heard on the "Ticket Ticker" that Tate was indeed suspended and Richard would be starting.

We will now get our first victory.
Go Buster.
mustangsnake
Recruit

Postby PK » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:17 am

Tate was ejected for kicking a Nevada player in the face. It was in the DMN.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Return to Football