PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Can't wait for next Saturday

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Can't wait for next Saturday

Postby EP Pony Fan » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:02 pm

You should hear the UTEP fans -- you'd think the Miners slapped around Miami or Ohio State or Oklahoma yesterday. I actually talked to a guy this morning who said UTEP needs to start preparing for NEXT week's opponent, LaTech. Is he serious? This is the same team that lost to Cal Poly San Kuis Obispo!

Anyway, here's the EP paper's take on yesterday's game:

Miners roll past Bearkats
UTEP gives fans plenty to shout about in rout

Matthew Aguilar
El Paso Times

Coming perilously close to a program-threatening implosion, the UTEP football team averted disaster by playing its best football game of the season Saturday at the Sun Bowl.

The offense scored points, the defense was ferocious and opportunistic and the result was a smashing, crowd-pleasing 59-14 victory over Division 1-AA Sam Houston State that temporarily staved off the critics calling for a change in the Miner coaching brass.

Yes, for the first time since last October, UTEP won. The crowd of 17,211 didn't boo -- but cheered, and even saluted. And they stuck around until the very end -- creating a party-like atmosphere in a place desperate for some fun.

It was a scene opposite of the Sept. 6 debacle against Cal Poly, helping an embattled team exorcise some nasty demons.

Now, finally, UTEP -- now a very proud 1-4 -- can move on and try to fulfill its potential.

"I feel good for the kids and the community," head coach Gary Nord said afterwards. "For the first time in a long time, something finally went our way. We won the game of turnovers for the first time. And that was big."

UTEP forced Sam Houston (1-4) to four interceptions and two fumbles. -

The running game racked up 241 yards. The passing game had 176 yards passing.

Because of that, it was never close.

The Miners got on the board immediately, and seemed a confident bunch under the direction of redshirt freshman quarterback Jordan Palmer. Diminutive tailback Howard Jackson provided the Bearkats with a glimpse of what was to come with a 16-yard run, and with 1:51 ticked off the clock, the Miners were in the end zone after a Jimmy Smith run.

But, unlike last week against Louisville when the Miners also had a 7-0 lead, the Miners played patient, efficient football. The Miners stuck to their running game early, and passed intelligently -- for the most part.

The Miner offense caught fire in the second quarter, when Palmer engineered a nine-play, 70-yard drive that culminated in a Jackson 8-yard touchdown run that gave the Miners a 14-0 lead.

UTEP scored again on its next possession, this time a 10-play, 63-yard drive that resulted in a 21-0 lead after Palmer dived in from a yard out.

After sophomore linebacker Thomas Howard returned an interception 56-yards for a touchdown late in the second quarter, UTEP held a 28-0 lead at halftime.

The game's only drama came in the top of the third quarter, when Sam Houston's Stevie Smith scored on a 32-yard touchdown run that made the score 28-7. On the ensuing kickoff, UTEP bobbled the football, and Miner fans no doubt thought back to the Cal Poly disaster.

But, no. Linebacker Robert Rodriguez -- who played a tremendous game in his first start of the season -- fell on the pigskin and the Miners were in the end zone 15 plays and 73 yards later.

From there, it was a Miner celebration. Two El Pasoans scored: Franklin-grad Chris Marrow made a circus catch from 7 yards out, and Parkland-grad Matt Austin scored on a beautiful 21-yard touchdown run.

It was the most points scored by a UTEP team since 1986, when the Miners scored 64 against Northern Michigan.

Receiver Chris Marrow said Palmer's play sparked the team.

"He's a leader," Marrow said. "He gets it going. And that's a good thing."

And the players were relieved to finally get a win.

"We played with fire," Rodriguez said.

Game notes
* UTEP put Saturday's game away in the first half, piling up 264 net yards en route to a 28-0 lead.

* Running back Howard Jackson ran 15 times for 112 yards and a touchdown in the first half alone.

* Miner quarterback Jordan Palmer was 9-for-15 for 135 yards but had two interceptions in the first half.

* The Miners' 59 points were the most by UTEP since scoring 75 against New Mexico in 1967.
EP Pony Fan
Varsity

Re: Can't wait for next Saturday

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:14 am

I was in Austin this weekend at the Texas game for some reason with my dad and step mom *step bro goes to UT* and not only did I not care about the game but I wore all red and blue! I was on the phone tons tryin to find out what the SMU score was then I find out it doesnt start till 9 pm lmfao so I left the game early and went to some Mexican food place and sat there till the game was over! All I can say is I went from an all time high to an all time low! 3-0! 9-0! 9-3! 9-9! 12-9! WHAT THE HECK WENT ON! SMU better win this freakin game Saturday! or I dunno this is just getttin way out of hand or somethin!! This is our 3rd straight year starting a season 0-4! Do we like losing or somethin?! Cause right now our players dont really seem to care!

------------------
The Pride and Winning Tradition of the SMU Mustangs Will Not Be Untrusted to the Weak Nor the Timid
L! O! B! O! S! LOBOS! GO!!!!

WEARING THE RED AND BLUE ALL YEAR LONG! GO STANGS!
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football