PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Trend

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Trend

Postby SMUstang » Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:38 pm

I know that a lot of you love Bennett and think he is the savior of our program. Because he is a good recruiter, we have a truckload of redshirts that are going to restore our program to it's past glory.

However, this years team looks weaker than last years. And last years team looked weaker than the year before. And the year before's team looked weaker than the year before that, etc. etc. etc.

Cavan had 6 wins his first year, 5 the next, 4 the next, 3 the next, and finally 2. Bennett started with 3 wins his first year. Of course he didn't inherit as good of talent as Cavan did.
SMUstang
Heisman

Re: Trend

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:23 pm

Cavan was 4-7 his last year.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:17 pm

I just want to see improvement every year until we field a team that can compete with top 25 programs. If we go 3-9 with this year's schedule (tougher than last year's), that may be a sign of improvement. Remember, Nevada beat us by 18 at Ford last year. My guess is that we will be 6 pt favorites against UTEP.
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUstang » Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:46 pm

I agree. And we could do better. We could be 2-2 if we could cut out the stupid mistakes. I think Bennett is doing a lot of things right. But I am frustrated because the excuse every year has been "we have such a young team". Unless we are losing all of our upper classmen before they reach their junior year, why are we always such a young team?
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:13 pm

we would be 2-2 right now if the Baylor and Nevada games had been at Ford. I just hope we get a decent crowd out to support these guys against UTEP
Charleston Pony

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:06 am

Oh my lord. We never had a team this young and inexperienced under Cavan. Any early indications that Sturdivant and Muse were as good as advertised?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Corso » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:45 am

I gather Sturdivant exceeded every expectation. No word on Muse.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:14 am

Our defense is improving which as we know is Bennett's forte. His boring running offense, begins to look pretty good when his defense skunks the other team and the other team only seems to get points off interceptions. Although I have to say that going for 2 points early in the game seemed pretty lame. Far better to have a ten point lead. Had we had ten points we're up by one with a minute to go, and Nevada is forced to go for it on fourth down instead of punting.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Return to Football