PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Not so fast

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Not so fast

Postby Nacho » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:52 am

As Corso would say. If BC goes to the ACC this may change everything. Would the remaining BE then go after some of the C-USA schools? TCU? Does Cuse or Pitt go to the Big 10? Are we better off in a 12 team WAC?

http://www.wvgazette.com/section/Sports/2003093027
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Not so fast

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:13 am

i think this will definitely work to the advantage of the non-bcs teams when it comes to overturning the legitimacy of the bcs-bs.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Water Pony » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:16 am

Thoughts on article:

If BC goes to ACC after being rejected the first time, the BC and ACC should be roundly critcized. Unfortunately, money talks, etc, etc.

On the Conf. USA Board, they envision BE collapsing and Conf. USA receiving Pitt, Syracuse, WVA, etc. and dropping the SW Division Strategy. They see two divisions of Conf. USA for FB, North and South, perhaps adding UCF to lock up Florida along with Marshall from MAC.

Basketball is another matter with the BE taking that as a consolation price. They would be out of FB.

From our perspective, BE collapsing would not be a good thing.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:38 am

"From our perspective, BE collapsing would not be a good thing."

unless the whole bcs-bs is overturned by congress and or the courts or maybe the possibility of a joint venture/cooperative arrange between the two conferences b/c they're still going to be spread thru out half the country - geography.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Higher Authority » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:04 am

Everything I've ever read has suggested that if the Big 10 adds anyone, it would be Mizzou .... which could create a domino effect in the Big 12. Suddenly you have 11 teams in the conference -- and unbalanced schedule that would require the conference to add another team in order to maintain its conference championship game. Does Colorado then bolt for the Pac 10? Or, when the Big 12 approaches another school with an invite to the conference, there's talk that potential new member might have some considerable leverage - and could tell the Big 12 to get rid of Baylor High and bring in two new teams - perhaps with the second invitee school being of the invited school's choosing.

Sounds confusing, but that's the speculation I've heard. Then again, it's easy compared to the BCS stuff.
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby Water Pony » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:17 am

I agree if the Big Ten does go after a school it would be Missouri (assuming ND still is not interested).

However, from Big Ten country, this conference doesn't feel the pressure to add a school or a title game. They value the regular season too much. ACC might conclude the same and stay at 11.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby bhop » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:23 am

Now I'm just a caveman, and your ways are strange to me. . .but it seems to me that if BC goes to the ACC and the Big East collapses, then it would be extremely bad for SMU. In that scenario, Cincy and Louisville could well stay put, C-USA could grab WVA, Marshall, and someone else, and that would be that. Then we'd be stuck in the WAC, which would probably collapse when the MWC grabs some schools in the west. That would leave us with the option of (1) going independant, (2) joining the Sun Belt or some other god-awful throw down conference, or (3) just dropping football and putting all of us out of our misery(which more and more I think we should have done a long time ago and saved everyone a lot of time, energy, heartache, and money). In any case, it would probably be very, very bad. Am I just being too pessimistic?
bhop
Scout Team

Postby PonyFan » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:27 am

Originally posted by Water Pony:
I agree if the Big Ten does go after a school it would be Missouri (assuming ND still is not interested).

However, from Big Ten country, this conference doesn't feel the pressure to add a school or a title game. They value the regular season too much. ACC might conclude the same and stay at 11.
Somehow I doubt that. As much as any conference, the ACC seems to be driven by money, and a title game (think of all the corporate sponsors who would want in if Miami meets Florida State every year) means huge money.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:34 am

When has a BCS conference not been about money?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Football