PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Could we have potentially missed the boat?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Could we have potentially missed the boat?

Postby McAndless » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:44 am

In all seriousness, could SMU have missed the boat by not hiring Art Briles? This isn't a flame, but I hope some of you watched him coach last night and have an educated opinion of the matter.
McAndless
Junior Varsity

Re: Could we have potentially missed the boat?

Postby MizterTea » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:51 am

Originally posted by McAndless:
In all seriousness, could SMU have missed the boat by not hiring Art Briles? This isn't a flame, but I hope some of you watched him coach last night and have an educated opinion of the matter.
umm... Briles is a cougar alum and he is playing a soft opening schedule with freshmen and jucos...

SUCKA
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby dandyfan » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:44 am

So what you are saying then is...SMU could have beaten ECU??
dandyfan

Postby Stallion » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:12 am

I'll reserve judgment on Briles but the real uptick started with the improved recruiting of Dana Dimel which is why UH improved more than any team in the nation last year when it was +5 wins from the previous year-pretty tough to get fired when your team improves that much. I think Dimel really did redshirt his entire first class at UH which shows you what happens to coaches who don't play freshman.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby dandyfan » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:47 am

from 2-10 to 4-1 thus far..dont reserve too long stallion. he beat a pretty fine defensive coach the other night.
dandyfan

Postby McAndless » Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:04 am

I think Briles walked into a prime situation to be a first-time college head coach. Dimel recruited very well and brought the program back a little bit, I just think Briles' personality, demeanor, and most importantly, relationships with players is pretty special. I am not comparing his recruiting styles, admission policies of UH, JUCO transfers, etc., I just want to know if anyone sees how good of a coach this guy is and how he will be so successful?
McAndless
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:47 am

I repeat UH was NOT 2-10 last year but won 5 games including a season ending victory over bowl bound Louisville. They also beat Memphis in the second half of the year.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby dandyfan » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:43 am

you're right stallion!, my bad on the record. That was a nice recruit ol dana picked up too in that freshman quarterback......
dandyfan

Postby dandyfan » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:47 am

just yanking your chain stallion! briles will build houston faster for two reasons. they do have more athletes(entrance requirements at cougar high are not too tough)and briles is an offensive coach with a knack for thinking outside the box a little bit. kinda fun to watch that ol high school coach frustrate the college defensive coaches.
dandyfan

Postby Stallion » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:13 am

the University of Houston is a Sleeping Giant -Big Time Recruiting Hot Bed + Low Academic Standards for Athletes equal potential powerhouse. Right now they are missing two major ingredients-an acceptable stadium and alumni/student support. However, the right coach could win and win BIG there as has been proven in both FB and BB under several coaches over the years.

Stallion

Return to Football