PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

First Step in Conference Roulette

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

First Step in Conference Roulette

Postby Water Pony » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:31 am

Boston College's situation is fast becoming the first and critical event in what may beccome a riotous October and early November series of decisions.

After being ejected by ACC, it appears BC still wants to be the 12th member in ACC. If ACC does extend an offer (which further damages the BE and does not reflect well on the concerns of others by letting BC, BE and the rest twist in the wind with their deliberate and slow decision making), the planning discussed so far becomes more confusing and, ultimately, urgent. Does the BE then take more CUSA schools like Memphis, ECU or USF? Does it go for MAC schools like UCF or Marshall?

In any case, what the future of CUSA looks like is not so certain. Other boards have suggested a collaboration between BE and CUSA for FB and BB. For SMU, I don't know how we can be certain that the WAC or Conf. USA will be a reliable place to remain or move to. Here is article. Comments?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?id=1628532
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: First Step in Conference Roulette

Postby SWC Grey Hair » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:09 am

Big East announced yesterday that they will stay together with a 16 team basketball league and 8 or 9 team football league. If BC goes to ACC; Big East will take either South Florida or ECU in addition to Louisville, Cinn., DePaul, and Marquette. What CUSA does from there, who knows?
SWC Grey Hair
Scout Team

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:12 am

WP-I am cautious and pessimistic about this stuff based on past events. And I don't exactly like the way SMU is posturing in the media. Copeland is saying too much in my opinion that could backfire on us. Having said that, I really don't think BC's move changes the dynamic much. I say that because without BC, I believe it is even less likely that Syracuse would walk away from its basketball rivalries with St Johns, Georgetown and Providence. Therefore, a widescale BE/CUSA is not likely and seems highly unlikely to me that Tulane, Houston, and TCU would be part of any possible BE scenario. The new CUSA will probably take a hit by losing Memphis or ECU in addition to Louisville and Cincy. Then, I wonder if it pushes TCU into the arms of the MWC. Stranger things have happened.
Hoop Fan

Postby Water Pony » Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:20 am

Further detail reported from Syracuse on the discussions between BC, BE and ACC. BC can't sit on a fence much longer and ACC can't ignore the dilemna being created.

http://www.syracuse.com/sports/poststandard/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1065083717140181.xml
Pony Up
Water Pony

Return to Football