PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Eric Dickerson

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Eric Dickerson

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:56 am

On my way back from lunch I was listening to the Ticket and Dale Hansen had a caller that said E.D. was on the Ticket last week and was asked by a caller why he doesnt help with recruiting and to promote SMU football. Supposedly, Dickerson's response was that SMU football doesnt have enough black players???? Did anyone hear this?
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Eric Dickerson

Postby Big Cat » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:15 pm

Dickerson sounds like a complete [deleted]. Everything I have heard about him backs this up. I know he was a great Mustang for us when he played here, but he sure seems like a big [deleted].
Big Cat
Scout Team

Postby mrydel » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:30 pm

LA Mustang:

Go back 7 pages on this board to the subject "what did Dickerson say?". That will let you see some of the many comments that were stated on this subject. The discussion date is 9/15/2003.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:38 pm

He's not as big an [deleted] as some of you cutting down an SMU immortal on SMU's own webpage-hey Dickerson's info maybe about 5 years too old but WITHOUT QUESTION he was 100% correct until Mike Cavan began to recruit more African Americans. Why should he pay attention to what might have happened in the last 5 years to one of the most pathetic athletic programs in America. I am as embarrassed as he is in this program.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:23 pm

Let's just put ED and Rush Limbaugh in the same room with each other and fugidaboudem! :thumbdown:
MrMustang1965

Postby Stallion » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:29 pm

Or maybe you ought to go post on the Sam Houston St. board where you belong.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:35 pm

easy now children :w00t:
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:41 pm

Be cool Stallion.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:11 pm

Eric Dickerson is past tense. Let it go.
Bergermeister

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:41 pm

Originally posted by Stallion:
Or maybe you ought to go post on the Sam Houston St. board where you belong.
Low blow, Stallion. :thumbdown: Was I addressing you in that post? Where the hell do you get off on telling a 'fan' of this school and its teams to go somewhere else? :wacko:

SMU needs all the fan support it can get right now, from both alumni and non-alumni, like me. I drive up to Dallas from Houston, for godsakes. I've now seen THREE SMU games this year (sorry but I'm not rich and couldn't afford the trip to Nevada) and will be at the UTEP game tomorrow.

Come on over to the press box side of Ford Stadium, my reserved seats are on the 50-yd. line, row 14, and I'll be more than happy to 'discuss' my love for this school with you!
MrMustang1965

Postby Stallion » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:03 pm

then if you are such a great fan of SMU maybe you ought to cool it when taking pot-shots at the Greatest Player in SMU History. I expect that on our opponents board but I'm really getting sick and tired of SMU fans cutting the man down. Some of you Loyal SMU Fans are the biggest backstabbers around.

Stallion

Postby abezontar » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:09 pm

hmmmmmmm.....methinks some things should be thought about before they are said, lest ye be thought a fool for failing to apply standards to oneself
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:09 pm

Man, I gotta say I agree with Stallion about bagging on Dickerson on this forum. If you all want to shun him forever, keep it up. I think there is some merit to the notion of SMU hiring a black coach. I don't care how he said it. As for the ratio of players by race, I don't know, but I hope our silly [deleted] admissions policies have not effected that over time. Having said all that, the Sam Houston comment was just wrong and gives us the very image that Dickerson is alluding to, white and snobbish.
Hoop Fan

Postby Stallion » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:40 pm

an example of what Dickerson was trying to say was that the SMU press guide in 1993 lists 33 African-Americans while the 2003 Press guide lists 46 African-Americans. An SMU publication entitled The Pony Express published about the 1982 team lists 44 African-Americans in 1982. As I said Dickerson's info was a little dated but factually it was pretty accurate especially when Kenneth Pye was around.

<small>[ 10-03-2003, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Stallion ]</small>

Stallion

Postby Stallion » Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:59 pm

according to the 2000 Press Guide, just a few years ago, SMU had only 17 retuning scholarship African-American players + 8 incoming freshmen scholarship players for a total of 25. Again, Dickerson's data may be dated by a couple of years but he had a point that most of you dismissed without first checking the facts.

Stallion

Next

Return to Football