PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Pratt and Joeckel

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Pratt and Joeckel

Postby ponytalk » Thu Oct 26, 2000 1:56 pm

Pratt is gone, so Scharvda has been moved to DE. Since Joeckel is gone, does this mean Mr. Consistancy, Brain McDearman will get to play, or is he just our holder and talent that the coaches send to the bench?
ponytalk
Varsity

Re: Pratt and Joeckel

Postby smudad » Thu Oct 26, 2000 3:40 pm

Apparently the receiver situation now is:
TE - Hampton
WR - Freeman
WR - Ford
Slot - Cunningham/Cardwell

No mention, and probably no hope for McDearman or O'Neill. Sad.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby Hoofprint » Fri Oct 27, 2000 12:30 pm

That is a shame about McDearman and O'Neill. We all know McDearman has the best hands on the team, and O'Neill looked really good in the spring when he was practicing at the so-called "U-Back" spot. He has a burst of speed that Brown and Hampton simply can not add to the offense.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby jettison » Fri Oct 27, 2000 4:32 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hoofprint:
<B>We all know McDearman has the best hands on the team, and O'Neill... has a burst of speed that Brown and Hampton simply can not add to the offense.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't know either one of these facts.

Regardless, as difficult of a process that it could and has proven to be, SMU is indeed playing for the future with this young team. We had hoped for a better start, but the best will come from here on out. There's an old saying in high school football that you lose as many games a year as there are sophomores and/or freshmen in your starting lineup. Doesn't this apply to college as well?

I think there is a healthy and competitive relationship between the few older classmen and the younger players that may have taken their positions or significant amount of their PT... I've seen it firsthand.

I still think the best players are out there, it's just a matter of exploiting their talents properly.
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby Hoofprint » Fri Oct 27, 2000 5:16 pm

Jettison - I agree, we are playing for the future with these guys. Don't mistake my sympathy for McDearman with the assumption that I'd rather he play instead of Freeman or Cunningham. Those guys HAVE to be on the field.
Hoofprint
All-American

Return to Football