PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Where is Arnold when you need him?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Where is Arnold when you need him?

Postby Sam I Am » Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:14 am

If only the terminator were a good football coach, then recall might work for SMU too. California has shown that just because someone has been re-elected 11 months ago does not require that they get to fill out the full term of their office or contract. Pony fans are just as tired of our losing deficit as the left coast voters were of their indebtedness. It could happen.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Re: Where is Arnold when you need him?

Postby Nacho » Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:30 am

Let's see how the Terminator does. He only has 2 things that he can do--cut spending and raise taxes. That 38 Billion is not going away any other way.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby abezontar » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:11 am

All he can do is cut spending because he promised he wouldn't raise taxes....it will be interesting to see how popular he is when Californian's start losing some of their state subsidized programs. The truly sad thing is that there are groups that were poised to start another recall no matter who won the race yesterday. It is entirely possible that you will now see petitions circulating to recall Arnold, starting a cycle of endless recalls, and making it so the state can not ever function and so be left perpetually with the problems they have today. I really hope cooler heads prevail now.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Nacho » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:43 am

I'm sure there will be another recall but I think they have to wait 6 months. This was really about the next Presidential election. California has a lot of electoral votes. I'm tired of politics and I'm tired of SMU football. They are about even on my what is sorrier scale.
Nacho

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:23 am

Sam I Am,

Although entertaining, I disagree with your analogy.

Coach Bennett did not get us into this mess. Recalling him so early in his term would be the equivalent of recalling Arnold 100 days after took office. Give both men some time.

For all you non-Californians who want to know how we got into this mess? In the last 8 years, annual spending has nearly doubled from ~$50 billion to ~$100 billion. And Democratic Lt. Governor Cruz Bustamante, who will probably run against Arnold in the next real election and could well defeat him, was quoted this past month as saying the $38 billion deficit existed because the wealthy and businesses were not taxed enough.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Sam I Am » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:28 am

The issue is not how California or SMU got into their mess, but who and how do they get out of it. Calfornia choose new leadership because of a crisis. SMU is in serious trouble too, and Bennett is not showing signs he is up to the job. Davis didn't either.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:34 am

How do we get out of this mess? Recruit better ball players.

Bennett is doing just that and deserves more time.
SoCal_Pony

Postby McAndless » Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:53 pm

I just want to know how we all expect Bennett to recruit better players when the games turn out like they do. A new coach only has a brief grace period to walk into prospects house and tell them the program is getting turned around, and now is the time to jump on ship. My biggest fear is that time has passed. It will be his third year of hitting the 300 mile circle for talent, and empty guarantees return nothing. Players may like the man personally when he recruits them, but they also will be very selfish and go where they see the best program. I would have no problem giving him more time if his actual job-coaching football-was producing more than what we are witnessing right now. I know it's always darkest before dawn, but it feels like it is 2 AM and it's pretty damn dark.
McAndless
Junior Varsity

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:21 pm

Many times I think these posts are a joke. Seriously. Coach Bennett has not even been here for 2 years! It's gonna take 4 to turn it around. If you cannot wait, best find another team. Phil is smart, organized, an outstanding on-the-field coach and a terrific recruiter. He has had success as an assistant and a coordinator at Iowa State, Purdue, LSU, ATM, and Kansas State (to mention a few). He is honest, sincere and intent on winning at SMU. He's got just about everything it takes. And after a couple more recruiting classes, he will. Don't use the worn out whine: "I'm tired of SMU losing"... hammering your own team makes you the loser. If you're going to criticize, at least be civil about it. Some of these posts are pretty venomous. Sorry if you're "embarrased", "offended", or "disappointed". Tough.
Bergermeister

Postby ponyboy » Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:38 pm

Bergermeister for President.
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Postby In Tate We Trust » Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:54 pm

Bergermeister has my vote!
In Tate We Trust
Scout Team

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:10 pm

McAndless,

You bring up a valid point. It will be interesting to see if Bennett can continue his recruiting momentum given our on-the-field performance this year.

We will find out soon enough, until then, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Why? Because he gave us the very best recruiting class post-DP last year and has therefore earned my support.

I’m not crazy about some of his coaching decisions, but no way do I now stop supporting him.
SoCal_Pony

Return to Football