PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Playmaker QB needed

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Playmaker QB needed

Postby RELATIVE-STANG » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:20 am

Alright people liston up! I like coach Bennett and I want him to win and stay here. My message to coach is: Go to your run-pass QB from Mesquite (formerly #8, now #86). He is as good,even better than either McNeal of A&M or Young Of Texas. Those two teams are winning with there 2001 class QB's. So use yours!. When he was put in charge of the offense at mesquite the offensive mistakes dropped and the producion soared averaging 26 pionts per game and resulting into a 16 game winning streak, tack on a chamoionship. That average would have gotten you to 500 at this point maybe even better. This guy is a play maker and he owes you a favor. Also, he's got to much Asian blood in him to put on the heavy weight needed for blocking. The only thing upsetting me is that we can't what practice any more. Dam!. Make the move and string together some wins! You'll feel better. Our prayers are with you. :cool:
RELATIVE-STANG
Scout Team

Re: Playmaker QB needed

Postby Corso » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:28 am

Not so fast, my friend!

You're talking about Mark Hodges - he's now a tight end. And from what I hear from practice, he runs pretty good routes and has nice hands. He might yet be a really productive tight end. But I highly doubt they're going to move him back to QB and play him ahead of Bartel AND Wallis AND Phillips AND Meeks AND Nixon. I'm not saying he doesn't have the necessary talent - that's not for me to determine. But that's an awful lot to ask of a guy who hasn't practiced the position in a year.

I assume he's best-suited to playing a receiving TE role, kind of an H-back (Hampton) situation.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby RELATIVE-STANG » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:58 am

According to most of the complaints I read here, SMU only has two plays! 1. Hand off to the TB. 2. Throw deep. That's easy. How about adding one 3. QB draw for 60yds. TO THE HOUSE! Besides he was at #3 QB last year running his sprints. Them other boys can wait to. :thumbupcool:
RELATIVE-STANG
Scout Team

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:16 pm

Hey Relative-Stang,

Nice email address!
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:54 pm

Talk about limited options, yeah put in a new QB and how many plays will he be able to execute?

QB has been one of the biggest disappointments when compared to preseason expectations but Bartel has just had his best game of the season. Open up the offesne. Give him a chance and some weapons, like the freshman wide outs and perhaps a receiving TE. And if that is Hodges maybe we can put in the TE pass!

<small>[ 10-15-2003, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: The PonyGrad ]</small>
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby RELATIVE-STANG » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:58 pm

Man That's it! a tight end pass! Thats whats been missing all this time. Come on man the playbook is full of TE passes. The deal is that the defense takes those reads away and gives us certain areas of the field that they know we are weak at. Hey man those other defenses know if you got a QB who can hurt you by running, all they have to do is put some heat on em and give them the a read they want so the QB will get hurried and put the ball right in the area of the field :cool: that they are ready for. Mostly our short routes. Have you noticed that. Have you noticed how many times last year and this year on third and long our QB's open read is short of the sticks. By the way, how many of our losses can we statisticly charge to the lack of TE production. I got a lot more. Bring it on.
RELATIVE-STANG
Scout Team

Postby The PonyGrad » Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:57 am

Just kidding about the TE pass, but you never know. :mellow:
Go Ponies!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby RELATIVE-STANG » Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:11 pm

Ok using your stats that appears to be 1/3 of the production. We are only 1/2 way through the schedule. so are we calling the TE's # less or is the QB just not making the read as much. I think that coach needs to get better at the QB spot. Look at the stats. Its bad. Last I checked we are at or dead last on offense. Offenses like ours, or similar, are functioning for teams throughout the D1 level. They all sink or swim according to the level of the QB's production. Coach has confirm this and has pointed this out now for weeks. It doesn't look like he's getting much return on his invest of patience. The fans are ready now for results. He can feed this furry only with big plays from the QB. Whoever it is on the team who has the full package needs to be inserted now. the fans will put up with a little greeness as long as the QB is making them stand up and cheer more than not. This building for the future is a beating for those who are in the here and now. I say feed them.
RELATIVE-STANG
Scout Team

Postby The PonyGrad » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:31 pm

I agree with all your points except that Bartel may have shown that he is getting back into the groove with a 151.16 Pass efficiency vs. SJSU. I think he has earned the right to be there and to have the offense open up the passing game.
Go Ponies!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby RELATIVE-STANG » Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:01 pm

In D1 football no one has a right to a 1st string position. NO ONE. During spring ball is when a player competes for the opertunity to start. We are 6 games in with only, at best, below average play from the QB position as comared to the rest of the D1 teams. When the level of QB production is low so will all of the other poisitions production and then the hammering begins. I am not sure where you got your stat of 151 for a QB rating. ESPN.com has our 1 st. string QB at 90.0 eff.,4TD's,8 int's, 8 scaks, -58 rushing, -4.8 yds/carry and or 2nd string QB with much less. accept for rushing. I am getting long. We have 6 games left. Its time to act. Is Nixon #3. Its time for Nixon or whoever.
RELATIVE-STANG
Scout Team

Postby Hal » Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:23 pm

Nixon? I thought you wanted the kid from Mesquite under center.
Hal
Varsity

Postby RELATIVE-STANG » Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:46 pm

:hmm:
RELATIVE-STANG
Scout Team

Postby RELATIVE-STANG » Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:41 pm

*&^ right, if coach wants a ring from the WAC that would be the right choice but (Corso), above, wants to limit the team to only those who have practice this year. Well the #1 & #2 QB's have had a lot of practice and you see what the numbers are :o . Yea, I bet you could take a TE right now and move him to QB and get better stats than we currently have, over the next six remaining games. When Coach needs a play, say third and 10, He needs a play maker that will get it for him. one way or another. That's why The QB has to be able to haul-Ace. With current stats or QB is closer to scoring one for the other team. Come on man! Ya'll do better with rebuttals or am I on!. Yah! I'm on. :thumbupcool: And another thing!. I have seen coach Bennetts practice sessions. There's no reason why any player shouldn't know what to do. Many of these players, young and old, need turn on the play maker switch. How about de cleakin some body on special teams down field blocking. Big hits! on D!. you know the ones that cause the trainers to have to use the smelling sauce. :wacko:
RELATIVE-STANG
Scout Team

Postby RELATIVE-STANG » Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:31 pm

Well I guess we just got more depht at TE. 6'-5" Bartel and 6'-3" Wallis. Welcome to the crowd men. Ya'll need to put on about 40 lbs. so you can block.
RELATIVE-STANG
Scout Team

Return to Football