PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BARTEL IS GONE

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

BARTEL IS GONE

Postby MustSoccer » Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:26 am

I have heard that Richard Bartel was kicked off of the team Sunday. I have not confirmed, but the source is pretty positive of Bennetts move. Also heard, Tate Wallis is next, Has anyone else heard????

<small>[ 10-20-2003, 06:27 AM: Message edited by: MustSoccer ]</small>
mustsoccer
MustSoccer

Re: BARTEL IS GONE

Postby SMUFan » Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:42 am

I think someone might be pulling your leg. I haven't heard a peep about anything like that.
SMUFan
All-American

Postby MustSoccer » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:31 am

I have just confirmed from a friend of Richard that he is for sure off of the team. Apparently, Bennett told him that they are going in different directions and he told him that he was off of the team. He can keep his scholarship until December. Once again, the friend said that he had heard that Tate was next.
mustsoccer
MustSoccer

Postby ponyte » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:35 am

If the above is an accurate description of events, then it doesn't sound like Bartel or Wallis have been kicked off anything but are quitting. I would be very surprised that Bartel and Wallis would make such a move so quickly. The situation has yet to play out and many things can still happen.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby buspen » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:36 am

As of last night, I understand Bartel is gone and back with the Reds. Being Wallis and Bartel were involved in same incident, there must be more to the Bartel story.
buspen
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUFan » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:38 am

Are you serious? Did he do anything wrong? I know you can get dismissed if you break rules, etc., but if production isn't what it should be, shouldn't a scholarship be honored? Seems to me this is the kind of move that might alienate a HS coach when his kid is being recruited. I find it hard to believe. Hopefully you got an exaggerated version.
SMUFan
All-American

Postby VarsityShop » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:40 am

I heard through the "grapevine" that Bartel was not at the Sunday practice yesterday for what thats worth.

:eek:
VarsityShop
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:48 am

Also, Bartel is not on Scholarship I believe because it is being paid for by the Reds?
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby giacfsp » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:52 am

No, the Reds paid his first two years, but he gave up baseball to concentrate full-time on football, and to spend the summer in town working out with his teammates. He was placed on scholarship this year.

I don't want to believe we're losing either guy. I guess I'll wait until Coach Bennett says it before I believe anything.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby VarsityShop » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:09 am

If this is true and Bartel and Wallis are gone, who would be the QB's left on the roster that are not red-shirts?
VarsityShop
Varsity

Postby McAndless » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:12 am

My sources stated Bartel's disciplining has nothing to do with his lack of production, but merely off the field behavior. It's truly sad what happens when coaches and players don't like each other and a season turns out like this. I'd like to believe if we were .500 Richard would have after practice running for this offense. Pathetic.
McAndless
Junior Varsity

Postby McAndless » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:12 am

My sources stated Bartel's disciplining has nothing to do with his lack of production, but merely off the field behavior. It's truly sad what happens when coaches and players don't like each other and a season turns out like this. I'd like to believe if we were .500 Richard would have after practice running for this offense. Pathetic.
McAndless
Junior Varsity

Postby JustAFriend » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:17 am

I'm sure the reason you havent heard anything from Bennett is because he is trying to get his public statement to make it seem like a good coaching move to kick off the only QB's on the team with any experience. He was so quick to make the move, I would have thought he would have made it public already. All I'll say is if you wanna see Richard again, watch some Reds games in a few years.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:24 am

JAF- are you confirming that he's off the team?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby giacfsp » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:27 am

It's starting to sound more and more like this is real. Hope not. I've met both QBs, and I like them personally, regardless of their production on the field. I believe they're both good kids.
giacfsp
Heisman

Next

Return to Football