PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BARTEL IS GONE

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: BARTEL IS GONE

Postby OldPony » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:15 am

Players who want to win don't like their QB acting funny on the sideline and not paying attention. If he's hiding embarrassment then he's worse than a cancer on the team. I don't know that that is the case but that is a horrible excuse for the kid. Players deserve a scholarship and the right to keep them ONLY if they are holding up their end of the bargain. If you don't care and hurt the team with your antics, then you forfiet the right to act like an injured party. Dement has kept kids who didn't turn out as well as he had hoped but I doubt he would keep a clown who thought there were funny things going on when he was losing by 40 points. If I were Bennett, I would have been livid.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:12 pm

I think a lot depends upon the kid and his desires. I've heard for example that Bennett is keeping ShanDerrick Charles scholarship intact and making him a student assistant because Charles is a quality person even though Charles can never play football again. Other players may be in a different category and have some negative attitudes that need to find a place more to their liking because SMU hasn't worked out for them.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby abezontar » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:30 pm

In that vein isn't he keeping Bean on scholarship as an assistant as well. It seems that Bennett wants to find a way to keep guys there who truly want the program to be successful, even if they aren't or can't perfrom on the field.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sam » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:07 pm

bennett ain't the nice guy for doing this he has to do this,if they are injured they are medicaled and they do not count against the school's total. Don't make it sound like bennett is doing any favors for anyone,he just has two more gofers.
sam
Junior Varsity

Postby Football Fan » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:09 pm

Sam, You must know Phil personally.
Football Fan
Recruit

Postby Mike Damone » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:16 pm

I swear, we have more "insiders" to this program than we do coaches, players, and cheerleaders combined.

Because they are hurt, is Bennett not a nice guy?

And by the way, I would've gladly been someone's "gofer" if my 20k+ education would've been taken care of for me.

<small>[ 10-22-2003, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Mike Damone ]</small>
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:48 pm

it also seems that a couple of new posters came out of the woodwork this week. I can only assume they were waiting for an opportune time to dogpile Bennett. Whah, whah, whah, Phil Bennett's mean, he yells at people blah, blah, blah. Hey, this ain't the YMCA. Haven't you guys ever had a coach yell at you or chide you? I have, and at a younger age than these men playing D-1 college football. I don't want to see players run off. SMU has always been pretty good about that in all sports. But at the same these guys have to earn their way. You start to get this 4 year entitlement attitude and then a few bad apples start to poison the team. I hope you rookie posters that showed up this week are not part of the poison.
Hoop Fan

Postby cb.stang fan » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:35 pm

The truth is that Tate & Bartel were playing
Football ( Not allowed ) on SMU campus last week.
A fight broke out, and the SMU police were called.
There has been a history of this type of behavior!
Playing Football at SMU is an Honor!
My son stands on the sideline from an injury...
he would give anything to have the honor to hit that turf again!

One must take responsibility for their behavior!

Win or Loose, I support Coach Bennett's decision!
Support the Stangs...they ALL need us!
cb.stang fan

Postby i10pony » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:29 pm

When will this thread die?
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:13 pm

GREAT POST CB.STANG FAN!!! I am with you, and Coach Bennett 100%!!!There will be alot of hurt feelings in days and months ahead, and you guy's have to realize some of these posters are mom's and dad's, that think their little Bobby should be the pitcher! We need every fan we can get, but almost all of these disgruntled parent posters will vanish from sight, as soon as little Bobby is out of school.
ALEX LIFESON

Previous

Return to Football