PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bartel Transfering

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Bartel Transfering

Postby MustangSally » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:02 pm

I always feel bad for these kids who came to college to play and then something like this happens. But, it sounds like Bartel isn't happy here, so see ya later.
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby VarsityShop » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:04 pm

SMU QB to transfer; freshman will start
03:57 PM CDT on Monday, October 20, 2003

From Staff Reports - Dallas Morning News

UNIVERSITY PARK -- SMU quarterback Richard Bartel, benched during Saturday's 45-3 loss to Boise State, will transfer from the school. He will be replaced at starter by highly touted freshman Chris Phillips, who has yet to take a snap this season.

Phillips, a Bishop Lynch product, picked SMU over Arkansas, Louisiana Tech and Kansas State. Rivals100.com, a recruiting service, ranked Phillips as the 28th-best quarterback in the nation his senior year of high school.

SMU started Bartel until the Nevada game on Sept. 27, when Tate Wallis became the starter.

SMU coach Phil Bennett went back to Bartel after a weak effort from Wallis. SMU ranks last among 117 Division I-A teams in total offense and 106th in passing.

Bennett said he would help Bartel find a new school.

SMU is 0-7, one of three winless Division I-A schools.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/sports/topstories/stories/102003dnsposmu.20b8923c.html
VarsityShop
Varsity

Postby KnuckleStang » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:05 pm

Have we reached a determination or confirmation on what's going on with Wallis? Is he off the team, or running sprints, or what.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:31 pm

Wallis is still on the team (confirmed).
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:45 pm

Bartel, in my opinion, belongs at I-AA and if he wants to develop as a QB, that's where he needs to go. Maybe SHSU, following Josh's path. We may have several other players who would be happier and certainly more successful at that level...if their priority is playing football rather than earning a degree from a "name" institution.

Remember coming into this season when everyone moaned and groaned about the fact we had only 10 scholarships. Stallion predicted Bennett would have 18-20 easily. Looks like he's well on his way. Let's just get there and fast!!!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DiamondM » Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:46 pm

Didn't we have Wallis playing tight end before we had the QB exodus 2 years ago? Would he add some size and ability to our passing game as a TE? Would he accept that role again?
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Dark Horse » Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:58 pm

Would Bennett restrict Bartel's release to a team that's not on SMU's schedule or in the same conference?
Dark Horse
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:22 pm

Originally posted by Dark Horse:
Would Bennett restrict Bartel's release to a team that's not on SMU's schedule or in the same conference?
Restrict it??? Heck, he might encourage it.

Seriously, I wish nothing but the best for Richard Bartel. It is unfortunate for both sides that it had to end this way.

I was lucky enough to witness the LA Tech game in person last year and saw so much upside in this kid. I never imagined it would have gone so badly.

Best Wishes to Bartel and his family.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football