PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coaching Staff

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Coaching Staff

Postby ponyguts » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:45 pm

Assuming Bennett means what he says when he says he wants to stay here. When does he have to place blame on other coaches and make a few choices? Maybe a new Off. Cord. I mean we are dead last in the country in most of the major ofeensive categories. A change might be in order.
ponyguts

Re: Coaching Staff

Postby PlanoStang » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:08 pm

Yeah, he said in his post game interview that coaching was at fault for how badly we played against Boise State. Said this was the first time while he was at SMU the team wasn't prepared
for the game.

He said the same thing after the Navy game last year I know, and maybe a few games in between. He's starting to sound like Chatty Cathy to me.
Yank his string, and out comes a pre canned answer.

A new HEAD coach needs to show a spark pretty soon if he is to be a success. Brand new rookie HEAD coach Ron Meyer went 4-7 without much talent his first year, and beat a favored Arkansas team in the last game. Rookie Head coach Hayden Fry went 2-8 with a SMU team that was supposed to go 0-10 his first year. Two 0-7 starts in a row doesn't forbode well.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RELATIVE-STANG » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:14 pm

Can he teach the bone! If he can teach the Bone then he can stay. :thumbupcool:
RELATIVE-STANG
Scout Team

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:21 pm

Ron Meyer went 3-8 his first year and didn't have a winning record until his 5th year despite MUCH easier admission standards, better conference affiliations and some of the best recruiting classes in the country. Under the admission standards including the more restrictive standards imposed on the senior and junior classes it undoubtedly would have taken him much longer.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:49 pm

tell 'em stallion!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby GrapevineMustang » Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:04 am

Amen, Brother Stallion!
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby Cyn » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:53 am

I agree with Mr Stallion 100%. In time, it can be done. I support the team all the way.

Hang in there bro!
Cyn

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:44 am

Obviously, Coach Bennett will shuffle the staff. Changes occured after the '02 season. As a rule, college assistant coaches are always on the move. Look at Phil, himself: TCU, MacArthur High School, Purdue, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Kansas State, ATM, LSU. I imagine we'll have some on the move again this year. I look for him to go the Stoops route for assistants/coordinators. Those young guys get after it! Even Ray Charles can see we need an infusion of enthusiasm and some of these 50 year-olds have run out of steam. (Lots of knowledge and experience that doesn't show up on the scoreboard) Look for some fiery additions who will better relate to and motivate 19-22 year old players. We'll see UT doing the same thing. There's lots of good young guys out there. Phil has the knowledge and experience to oversee a young, enthusiastic staff.
Bergermeister

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:30 am

I wouldn't want to fire Bennett this year, but if he starts 0-7 next year, he's probably NOT cut out to be a HEAD coach. We're takin a BIG chance on someone who hasn't even been a head coach of a middle school.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mike Damone » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:43 am

I don't think Bob Stoops was even the head coach of a middle school before the OU job. I know that isn't your point, but don't use that as a negative against Bennett. Most head coaches in college never were head coaches at some lower level before. Most started out as assistants and worked their way up.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby bubba pony » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:45 am

wouldn't you think he could coach better that 3rd worst out of 117 schools?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/powerranking?season=2003&week=8&pollId=3
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:48 am

Think Joe Novak before anyone goes over board. The coach at NIU inherited a terrible program and proceeding to have we really bad years before the next three years created his instant success.

IF we don't show some patience to finish what we start, all we are doing is hitting the reset button every three years.

Be careful.

<small>[ 10-22-2003, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Water Pony ]</small>
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:50 am

Originally posted by ponyguts:
Assuming Bennett means what he says when he says he wants to stay here. When does he have to place blame on other coaches and make a few choices? Maybe a new Off. Cord. I mean we are dead last in the country in most of the major ofeensive categories. A change might be in order.
Yep, I will vote for a new OC for next year too. We've had no imagination on offense, and QB problems since he got here.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Football Fan » Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:02 pm

Bergermeister, Just what experience does Phil have overseeing people? He has never been a head coach and maybe the reason some of the knowledge of the other coaches doesn't show up on the scoreboard is because they don't have any input. It is all Phil. The OC only does what Phil says. In the coaches meetings, most of them don't even talk anymore, because, every idea they have is shot down by the "Great One".
Football Fan
Recruit

Postby dandyfan » Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:17 pm

sounds like inside info football fan. please do tell us more... or are we just guessing here?
dandyfan

Next

Return to Football