PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tulsa defense

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Tulsa defense

Postby Ikus » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:42 am

I just got through reading the Tulsa preview on the home page. The thing that jumped out at me is that the Tulsa DEs are 260 pounds and 262 pounds, and their NG is 250. Is there any other team out there that has heavier guys outside than in the interior? The standard theory is that you throw the big guys in the middle to clog up the running lanes, forcing RBs outside to the DEs. Is Tulsa's philosophy the opposite - bigger DEs force RBs inside? Almost sounds like their NG is a misplaced MLB. I would think that Steve Reindl and the rest of the interior offensive linemen for SMU should be able to dominate the line of scrimmage, and that KK should have a huge day.

SMU 23
Tulsa 17

GO MUSTANGS!
Ikus
Heisman

Re: Tulsa defense

Postby GrapevineMustang » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:37 am

You know, I was wondering about that. It's pretty unusual for a team to go to a 3-4 with a relatively light guy in the middle. Generally they take the biggest guy they can find, plug him in there and tell him to clog things up and not move. It'll be interesting to see TU's version Saturday.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby Johnny Rock » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:46 am

Tulsa will do what every team we have played did. Tulsa will play the run most of the time. They will blitz often and their safeties will play near the line of scrimmage. Tulsa may be smaller but the extra guys near the line will overcome their size disadvantage. Remember, SMU is the worst offensive team in Division 1. I will be happy if we can score a touchdown. Although Phillips has a lot of potential, he has never taken a snap in college football. We should be able to generate more yards of offense with Phillips' ability to run better than Bartel and he will have plenty of opportunities to get single coverage on the receivers. Bartel was unable to capitalize on this. Can Phillips? We will know Saturday.
Johnny Rock

Postby buspen » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:26 am

Tulsa was forced to go to this 3-5-3, due to lack of numbers. They cancelled the spring game because they did not have enough players for a full scrimmage. The defense looks alot like the old Oklahoma 5-2. They have alot of mid size players and it is basically the same team as last year. The main thing is this coach has shuffled the lineup and has them believing they can play, that attitude has gone along way.
buspen
Junior Varsity

Postby Ikus » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:34 pm

That's the kind of attitude I want to see from OUR defense. Remember that four-play goal-line stand against .... UTEP, I think? Our guys absolutely swaggered off the field, and looked across the field like they were daring the offense to come out and challenge them again. Somehow, we need to get back a little of that confidence.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby hugehurricanefan » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:06 pm

How can you pick SMU Thos is TUs homecomoing they are a much imprvoed team from last yewar No way the little ponnies win
TU 34
little ponies 10
hugehurricanefan

Return to Football