PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Open letter to the offensive line

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Open letter to the offensive line

Postby ClassOf81 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:00 pm

I'd like to see the linemen somehow get taught a nasty attitude - like it's a personal attack on them if someone tries to tackle their teammate or prevent them from doing the same (depending on OL vs. DL, of course.)

This weekend is a perfect chance for the offensive line to be the stars of the game. Tulsa's defensive front is small, averaging 254 across the defensive line, and they only use three down linemen. Our offensive linemen need to come out and play like it's just the five of them against the entire Tulsa defense. Come out frothing at the mouth, and just physically maul the guys in front of them. Pick those guys up and shove them straight back 5-10 yards on every play, and then shove them some more. If you can plant one of them in the ground, do it and then look for someone else to hit.

O-Line, this is the game where you can make up for seven games of frustration, but Tulsa is a much-improved team. They're not going to lay down. But you guys are bigger and stronger than they are. Get nasty and brutal, and the Ponies are in the win column.
Especially with a freshman QB, that's the way I see it. The offensive line can win this game for us. Sterling Harris, Steve Reindl: you guys are seniors. Show the young guys the way here. Go out there Saturday and start brawling on every play. You'll make Phillips and Kincade look like stars, but we'll know where it all starts.

Go SMU!
Beat Tulsa
ClassOf81
Heisman

Re: Open letter to the offensive line

Postby Hoss » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:02 pm

I agree with your thought process, 81. TU is susceptible to the run, and there's no way Kincade shouldn't have a good day if the big guys up front do their job.

Go Ponies!
Hoss
All-American

Re: Open letter to the offensive line

Postby Otto » Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:24 pm

Actually, they play more of a 3-3-5 defense. Three (small) linemen with three LBs right behind them - and two of them are small. They play five DBs and pinch a couple of them forward, so it almost looks like they have 5 LBs behind the line.

Tulsa fans, don't take this as smack-talking, because after all, we're 0-7. But I look at this and almost wonder how we could avoid having a good day running the ball. That defense just looks funny. (Which is why I'm not a coach, I guess.)
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Return to Football