PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU to CUSA in 2004????

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU to CUSA in 2004????

Postby PonyTime » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:29 am

If the dominoes start falling - earlier than expected - don't be surprised.

The Atlanta Journal hints that a deal may be brokered to move teams sooner for ACC, Big East, and CUSA

Could this filter down to the WAC and SunBelt???

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/columns/barnhart/index.html
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: SMU to CUSA in 2004????

Postby PonySnob » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:30 am

It would be great if we could somehow play in CUSA next year.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Ponymon » Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:28 am

I thought we should have gone to CUSA when the old SW conference broke UP! Pye liked Colorado, where he passed away, and must have decided that this was a way to get some free trips West every year. To me, however, the WAC never made any sense because there was never a chance to develop the rivalries that CUSA offers. We had a lot more in common with the CUSA schools than any in the Western WAC. I think we do have a chance to have a superior program that can compete in the top 25 with this move. CUSA is an easier sell now and we all know that once a kid comes to SMU the campus sells itself. SMU was the only school that I didn't visit when I was looking at colleges (I visited Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, University of Denver, Washington University - St. Louis, and Missouri) just out of high school in 1972 and I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I got on campus! The key is to get the recruits on campus. :D
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Southland » Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:57 am

Originally posted by Ponymon:
I thought we should have gone to CUSA when the old SW conference broke UP! Pye liked Colorado, where he passed away, and must have decided that this was a way to get some free trips West every year. To me, however, the WAC never made any sense because there was never a chance to develop the rivalries that CUSA offers. We had a lot more in common with the CUSA schools than any in the Western WAC. I think we do have a chance to have a superior program that can compete in the top 25 with this move. CUSA is an easier sell now and we all know that once a kid comes to SMU the campus sells itself. SMU was the only school that I didn't visit when I was looking at colleges (I visited Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, University of Denver, Washington University - St. Louis, and Missouri) just out of high school in 1972 and I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I got on campus! The key is to get the recruits on campus. :D
When that decision was made, CUSA didn't have a football conference formed, and the WAC was considered a serious contender to join "the alliance." :thumbdown:

It was the right move for SMU. Unfortunately, the league expanded with too many schools, and had horrible leadership.
Southland
Varsity

Return to Football