PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Marshall

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Marshall

Postby SWC Grey Hair » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:42 pm

Marshall has accepted CUSA invite this morning.
SWC Grey Hair
Scout Team

Re: Marshall

Postby Sam I Am » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:53 pm

Things are just getting better and better for SMU in the C-USA.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby SWC Grey Hair » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:02 pm

Who will be the 12th member? Central Florida, La Tech, or Miami Ohio?
SWC Grey Hair
Scout Team

Postby Johnny Rock » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:22 pm

Does C-USA have rules regarding partial qualifiers? If I am not mistaken, I believe the Big 12 limits each team to 1 per recruiting class. This has allowed teams like Fresno St. and La. Tech to get good players because the 'big boys' could not offer them a scholarship. I believe that Marshall has been able to get great players due to this as well. I appreciate any feedback or comments.
Johnny Rock

Postby Cheesesteak » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:43 pm

October 24, 2003
Marshall Will Sign With Conference USA

Marshall Sports Information

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. - The Marshall University Board of Governors, in a unanimous vote today during a special meeting on campus, authorized President Dan Angel to sign a membership agreement with Conference USA.

The vote took place in the Memorial Student Center's Shawkey Room. The agreement is conditioned upon anticipated conference realignment.

"A move to Conference USA affords Marshall University the opportunity to extend its championship image to a wider market of potential students and supporters," Angel said. "This move places the institution in a competitive mode in many areas and will benefit both athletics and academics."

Marshall has been a member of the Mid-American Conference since 1997 after a 20-year stay (1976-96) in the Southern Conference. The Thundering Herd football team has appeared in all six Mid-American Conference Championship games and in six consecutive bowl games. The squad has also won five MAC Championships and currently owns a five-game winning streak in bowls.

"The Mid-American Conference has been a great league for Marshall," MU Athletic Director Bob Marcum said. "But, we are extremely excited about out proposed membership in Conference USA and the opportunity to develop new rivalries. We anticipate having a formal announcement soon with Conference USA regarding its membership realignment."

If Conference USA realigns as expected, it will be divided into a Western- and Eastern-divisiion format, and each institution will compete in all sports.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:21 pm

CUSA does allow partial and non-qualifiers. Marshall is a good replacement for Cincy and will me a force in CUSA. Advantage state schools!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:18 am

Just a statement from Britton Banowsky regarding the addition of Marshall:

http://www.conferenceusa.com/sports/news/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=5793

<small>[ 10-25-2003, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: FloridaMustang ]</small>
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Football